Hopeful Future (pup is due early July!) Lab owner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hopeful Future (pup is due early July!) Lab owner

ItsTangy is offline Junior Member

DefaultHopeful Future (pup is due early July!) Lab owner

Hello Mentors/Friends!

My family and I will be (hopefully, as the pups aren't born yet) a yellow lab pup owner.
    Any musts, tips, advise?
    We aren't new to owning a dog, but new to owning a larger dog breed. We have a peke/pom mix currently (13 yr old female) and also my sister has a pekingese (7 yr old boy) that comes over for sleepovers and play dates (his second home).
    We are also purchasing our hopeful from Ridgeview Labradors, has anyone heard good things about them and their pups? (Is it ok for me to ask this?) I'm speaking with one of the breeders and she seems wonderful...I just want to make sure since adding a new family member is a huge commitment and costly.

thanks so much!!

Regards,
    Future Spot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

The breeder is reputable but you will have to do a lot of training to work on your exuberant puppy who will want to POUNCE on the smaller dogs.

Thank you yellowbelly, that's good to hear!
    Yes, we will be working on crate training him as well as all the other types of training he will be given. Would it be too cruel to keep the pup in the crate when the adults are out (they are very well trained and housebroken, except for those rare occasions where I find her on the dining table!)?
    The dogs we have now are segregated to the kitchen/dining area when we are not home, we have a baby gate which prevents them from going to the other rooms (she can jump over the gate, but now that she is older, she doesn't do it anymore), I wonder if loose, would the pup be able to jump over the baby gate?
    He will see that he is the only on in the crate...if it is too cruel then I might have to keep them in seperate rooms so that the pup won't see that the adults aren't crated.
    Also, I've read that there is no real difference from puppy large breed vs. reg. puppy food. Is it just the size of the kibble? I feed my pups now Blue Wilderness (small breed), the kibble is very small.

thanks so much!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'd ask the breeder what she feeds and stick w/ what has worked for her. She's been doing this a long time. Chances are good she'll send you home w/ some info as well.
    I am hearing some very good reviews on this book: Your Labrador Retriever Puppy Month By Month: Terry Albert, Debra Eldredge DVM: 9781615642212: Amazon.com: Books
    Curious, but what drew you to the Labrador breed after having small dogs? Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Sounds good, she said her pups will be on Pro Plan chicken and rice.
    I love dogs/animals and have had dogs all my life in all different sizes but my dad usually trains and cares for them.
    He's been gone and I have my own dogs now and have had only small ones, just happened that way.
    We were at a friends house and his family has a Nova Scotia duck trolling retriever that my 5 yr old loved to play with and he loved to play w my son. The two were inseparable! That pup followed my son around the entire day and they played fetch and in the pool with each other. When it was time to go home their dog wanted to go home my son as well!! He was ready to hop into our car! It was the most adorable thing!
    Ever since then I've been contemplating on a bigger dog for our family and my son has been asking for a bigger dog as well. The small ones we have at home don't really interact w my son. The 13 yr old keeps to herself most of the time and the 7 yr old visitor plays but it's not the same.
    We want a dog we can go hiking with and outdoorsy things with, that can also be a best friend to my son. I've done lots of research and while the first 1-2 yrs is a lot of work and training, labs are the best family pet from what I understand.
    Have I made the right choice?!

jertom is offline Senior Member

no disrespect to anyone as I'm certain we all mean well here; but I continue to read "ask your breeder" or any "reputable breeder" with the operative word being reputable, rather then go into my own examples I would just like to add for new owners that asking and listening to your veterinarian can be a good idea also.

Yes, I've also read a lot of "ask your breeder" type of answers as "your breeder knows best". I thought this forum was to get advise and input from other lab owners. If answers are to ask your breeder, then why should people bother going onto this forum. I do ask my breeder lots of questions, but I also would like input and advise from other lab owners as well...
    Of course everyone on forums would like to share stories/advise on what works and what doesn't for them and take everything with a grain of salt, to adjust that advise and knowledge to your own pup.
    Thanks to those who have replied to my post! Also going to get the book windycanyon suggests...should I just read that book and not bother with this forum anymore then? Are the people on this forum not sincere?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTangy View Post
    Thank you yellowbelly, that's good to hear!
    Yes, we will be working on crate training him as well as all the other types of training he will be given. Would it be too cruel to keep the pup in the crate when the adults are out (they are very well trained and housebroken, except for those rare occasions where I find her on the dining table!)?
    The dogs we have now are segregated to the kitchen/dining area when we are not home, we have a baby gate which prevents them from going to the other rooms (she can jump over the gate, but now that she is older, she doesn't do it anymore), I wonder if loose, would the pup be able to jump over the baby gate?
    He will see that he is the only on in the crate...if it is too cruel then I might have to keep them in seperate rooms so that the pup won't see that the adults aren't crated.
    Also, I've read that there is no real difference from puppy large breed vs. reg. puppy food. Is it just the size of the kibble? I feed my pups now Blue Wilderness (small breed), the kibble is very small.

thanks so much!
    my understanding is puppy food has lower fat ratio then adult and large breed puppy has lower then regular puppy food, you can check the analysis on the food of choice. I did.
    why does this matter? apparently so puppy doesn't grow too fast which could lead to bone problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTangy View Post
    Yes, I've also read a lot of "ask your breeder" type of answers as "your breeder knows best". I thought this forum was to get advise and input from other lab owners. If answers are to ask your breeder, then why should people bother going onto this forum. I do ask my breeder lots of questions, but I also would like input and advise from other lab owners as well...
    Of course everyone on forums would like to share stories/advise on what works and what doesn't for them and take everything with a grain of salt, to adjust that advise and knowledge to your own pup.
    Thanks to those who have replied to my post! Also going to get the book windycanyon suggests...should I just read that book and not bother with this forum anymore then? Are the people on this forum not sincere?
    I'm sure people on this forum are sincere.

Thanks!! There's just so much info out there and many people saying large breed is a marketing ploy, makes it so confusing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast