Overwhelmed puppy owner

Thread: Overwhelmed puppy owner

mjaynes288 is offline Junior Member

DefaultOverwhelmed puppy owner

Hello, I am the owner of a 10 week old lab puppy named Fenway. He is doing better at bite inhibition today but I have had him for a week and I am covered in bruises, scratches, and puncture wounds. He does not like car rides. He screamed the whole way home. I have been desensitizing him. Now he tries to drag me to the car whenever we go outside but he still screams if we go too fast, the road is too bumpy or it is to hot. I am kept awake at night by fears of Parvo. He has only had one shot given by the breeder and it was one of the farm store varieties that when tested had almost no chance of covering young puppies. I live in an apartment and I cannot stand dogs that go inside. I am anxiously waiting for his next shot on the 25th.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Did you do any research about labs prior to getting this puppy? Also did you use a reputable breeder as it doesn't sound like you did judging by your comment about the parvo. Basically you have a puppy it's going to mouth you, it's up to you to redirect the pup to an appropriate object to chew. It takes time! Poor pup is only 10 weeks and you sound so frustrated with it, they don't come ready made it's up to you to create your dogs obedience and behaviours.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

A breeder that gives their own shots isn't a bad thing. Ones they sell at a farm store or animal supply place aren't "bad". This comment cracks me up: " and it was one of the farm store varieties that when tested had almost no chance of covering young puppies" How do you know this???? I've always used them. I haven't gotten vet shots in over 7 years other than rabies. So 1 shot from the breeder and then waiting until the appropriate time for the 2nd shot is correct. Over vaccinating too early is actually worse.

Puppies bite and scratch and if you are overly worried and anxious, the pup will bite and scratch more. You need to relax. Look into a puppy class and chill.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Take a puppy class ASAP. Or find a trainer. you need someone to go there and give you confidence, will be hard to get that online.

It's been ONE WEEK, such a short period of time. relax, puppy-hood is hard but you also need to take the time to enjoy it.

mjaynes288 is offline Junior Member

I did do my research. I am doing an owner-training service dog program. They found my puppy. He came from a breeder that health tested hips, elbows, eyes, and heart in her breeding stock. I have since learned that the vaccine the breeder gave was the new name of Fort Dodge so I was wrong about that. Dr Ronald Schultz study on the effectiveness of 6 brands of vaccine had me scared when I did not recognize the name.

I have been in contact with my trainers. Classes officially start June 9 but after my puppy has his next shot we can go to socialization time before class if my puppy will tolerate the hour drive. I have signed up for a more local puppy class that starts the 30th to increase my puppies socialization.

I raised my last service dog (a free lab/poodle) from 12 weeks. I am not ignorant, just very overwhelmed. This puppy is very different from my last and even if he wasn't 9 years tends to soften the memory of early puppyhood.

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

ermahgerd!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Agree w/ Dryfo. Get into a puppy class asap. Also start taking your pup on SHORT rides-- just around the block at first. Make sure he associates it w/ fun, maybe right before lunch or dinner and when you get home, feed him in his crate in the car-- he is in a crate, right? Once he's more comfortable w/ the car ride, take him to the hardware store or for auto service, etc (bring clean up matls just in case). I try to start the short car rides here well before mine leave, since our ACVO is 90 miles away and if you want to hear screaming, just think about 10 of them all at once!

Lastly, a poodle x Lab is likely far different in temperament than a Lab. Labs are confident and outgoing (or should be anyhow). They are a LOT of fun to train, but you need to challenge him earlier in life than you may think if from working lines, esp. Good luck. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

AdventuresOfPepper is offline Junior Member

Our lab was my first dog. We got her at 9 weeks and to say I was overwhelmed would be a major understatement. She bit me constantly, tore through my clothes my jumping up and hanging from my leg, destroyed our house, never wanted to be pet or cuddled, did not listen at all, ate everything she could find (this was seriously dangerous), jumped on everyone, was a terror at the dog parks etc I broke down crying a few times Im embarrassed to admit. BUT she always slept through the night and she was SO easy to crate train- she's just incredibly independent. We got her into a professional in home 10 wk long training program that did absolute wonders. Now she is an amazing obedient dog. She comes with us everywhere and she is such a joy. With age she has also become quite the cuddler. Anyway, just wanted to reassure you it gets a lot easier and a million times better. Hang in there. It will be worth it in the end.

Michelle B. is offline Junior Member

I think you are describing my Phinley! Crate trained easily and slept through the night from the beginning. I guess I'm going to have to look into an in-house training program. I'm sorry to say this but it does make me feel better to know that someone else literally went through the exact same thing. Thanks for sharing!