Gwendolyn my curly tailed Labradoodle but I doubt there is doodle in her ;)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gwendolyn my curly tailed Labradoodle but I doubt there is doodle in her ;)

Gwendolyn's mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultGwendolyn my curly tailed Labradoodle but I doubt there is doodle in her ;)

We got Gwendolyn a supposed Labradoodle a week ago today. I never thought I would get a Lab and I am not a fan of Poodles but we were looking for a larger dog that would do well with my special needs son and she was the one. I highly doubt she is a Labradoodle and felt that from the start, I feel like I know enough of dog breeds to see she is failing to meet the criteria to be have poodle in her. She obviously has Lab in her. Her face, tail and extremely lanky awkward legs confuse me as to what she could be mixed with. I would love to have ideas thrown out there as to what she may have in her as I like to know the temperament of her breeds. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

What a sweetie! Have no clue about what she has in her other than seeing a little Lab. Hopefully that Lab gene will win out over any of the mix as she will be great with your son! I would just get to know her to see what her temperament will be personally.

wishing you all the luck with her. What a lovely girl.

KAZ

Did a search on Labradoodles. Your pup kind of looks like one, but it states that since it's a hybrid, not all pups come out with the features of a Labradoodle.

Labradoodle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

KAZ

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Archie is offline Senior Member

Since Labradoodles aren't actually a breed, and therefore don't have a breed standard, they all look very different from one another.

You may in one way or another have some sort of mix of lab and poodle. Who knows. doodles are a crapshoot temperament and appearance-wise.

She's very cute though. Best of luck with her.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

welcome to the board and congrats on your new pup.

She is very cute, and is absolutely a poodle mix. That fur is all poodle (mix). I hope you were picky about the breeder, especially if you wanted a dog with a solid temperament for your son. Labradoodles are mixes and their temperament and looks are all over the map (the point of developing a breed is to have a standard look and temperament when done properly, but with a mix you never know what you will get as you're gambling with genetics). I have met MANY doodles that were absolutely crazy and very hard to train so hopefully you when with a breeder that breeds for temperament and not just for money or because they think labradoodles are cute.

Sign up for puppy classes and then continue with obedience training. Set the rules in the house from day one, spend lots of time each day training and ensure everyone has the same rules. And make sure your pup gets TONS of exercise because both labs and poodles are high energy dogs needing an hour or more of off leash play each day for the first few years (and then some) of their life.

standard poodle pups can be leggy and awkward too so not sure why this strikes you as lab. In fact labs are not actually a very tall breed at all.

Dryo basically explained what Archie meant by "crap shoot" when it comes to Labradoodles. Some breeders see dollar signs because they are popular with pet people and others see this "mix" as something truly special and are careful to make sure good temperament is passed on to the pups. I know with dealing with hybrid Lion heads (before they became an actual recognized breed) I found a breeder who didn't have all the right standards but her Lionheads had the best temperament. And make great pets.

Also excellent advise regarding training and rules of the house. In the long run this will build a relationship between you, your son and your pup. Win-win as they say!

KAZ

Yellowdex is offline Junior Member

She definitely looks like a labradoodle to me. I used to be a dog groomer and I've seen many that look like her. She looks like she has more of a wiry coat. Some have a softer coat and some have a wiry coat. In my opinion the wiry coat is better bc they are lower maintenance. Keep in mind though that a lot of times labradoodles will have the same grooming requirements as a poodle. Many of our customers would not realize that and would bring them in very matted. If she does have a wiry coat though this may not be as much of an issue for you.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Looks like a Doodle to me too. Her very narrow front, legginess and coat are all poodle features.
    How old is she now? I agree on classes asap. I've seen LOTS of grumpy temperaments w/ doodles, unfortunately, as they seem to get the aloofness from the poodles, but energy from labs.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Gwendolyn's mom is offline Junior Member

I guess from what I saw just googling Labradoodles I saw a mess of curls and a shorter dog. I am not familiar with poodles so I am not exactly sure what to expect with the breed. She has been doing pretty well and as we live in a giant apartment complex she has been loving meeting all the new people and dogs that live here too. She gets a little sad when someone walks by her without saying hi. Today she just keeps waiting at the top of the stairs to go back out to play with the little westie she met earlier.

I did not buy her from a breeder as I was just looking for a dog who needed a home and one on the larger side as I said. I typically prefer mutts and she fit the bill. I most definitely will take her for classes because she doesn't have other dogs to learn her manners from like I have had in the past. I have high hopes for her and think she will do well with our family.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwendolyn's mom View Post
    I guess from what I saw just googling Labradoodles I saw a mess of curls and a shorter dog. I am not familiar with poodles so I am not exactly sure what to expect with the breed. She has been doing pretty well and as we live in a giant apartment complex she has been loving meeting all the new people and dogs that live here too. She gets a little sad when someone walks by her without saying hi. Today she just keeps waiting at the top of the stairs to go back out to play with the little westie she met earlier.

I did not buy her from a breeder as I was just looking for a dog who needed a home and one on the larger side as I said. I typically prefer mutts and she fit the bill. I most definitely will take her for classes because she doesn't have other dogs to learn her manners from like I have had in the past. I have high hopes for her and think she will do well with our family.
    Mutts are great. Had a mutt for 14 wonderful years. Jake was the best! We called him our "Purebred NJ Mutt". Never was a poodle person so don't know what you would expect from that part of the mix. She sounds lovely though, even the pout of not getting a "Hi" from someone. My pup gets a crestfallen face too when the neighbors ignore him as he bounds up to greet them. I just tell him, when he turns to me with that sad face, "don't worry, they are busy, come here and I'll love on you.". I get extra kisses that way, lol.

I think once you all get to know each other, with the help of classes, she'll turn out to be what you want and need for your family. Wishing you all the luck with her. Hope you post updates.

KAZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast