New female lab on board - 6 weeks old
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New female lab on board - 6 weeks old

Abulmeej is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew female lab on board - 6 weeks old

Hi everyone,

I just had my first female lab, with no prior experience.
    I live alone and she will be my companion. Any recommendations to start the right way?

Many thanks
    Ill post her photos soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Hey, Welcome! Good Luck with your Lab. Only thing I will suggest with such a young pup is a crate. Around here pups don't leave until 8 weeks old. Stick with the food the breeder has until at least 8 weeks old, as your pup has a immature digestive system. Lots of naps too as a pup at that age definitely needs the rest.

Look forward to photos! Wishing you the best with your sweet girl.

KAZ

Thank you ZRabbits, I am actually keeping her in a small confined room for the time being, with her food/water pot, a corner with newspapers and a free corner, and when I want to play with her I take her out of the room. I was wondering whether I really need to put her in a crate as I am away from her for more than 4 hour intervals during the day...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Abulmeej View Post
    Thank you ZRabbits, I am actually keeping her in a small confined room for the time being, with her food/water pot, a corner with newspapers and a free corner, and when I want to play with her I take her out of the room. I was wondering whether I really need to put her in a crate as I am away from her for more than 4 hour intervals during the day...
    No, but the small confined room is like a crate. You are giving her a safe place. The crate just duplicates cave and that's what the pups instinct is for. A secure place of their own. And with her being so young, that place will be her safe place. Just watch that she doesn't get bored which leads to destructive habits.

Wishing you all the luck with her.

KAZ

At this age, do I expect her to start learning to do her pee/poop on the newspaper? cos mostly when I open the door for her she gets excited and never wants to go back to her room to do the thingie there, so she starts doing them everywhere...
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Abulmeej View Post
    At this age, do I expect her to start learning to do her pee/poop on the newspaper? cos mostly when I open the door for her she gets excited and never wants to go back to her room to do the thingie there, so she starts doing them everywhere...
    Thanks again
    Well, if that's where you want her to go, yep never too early to start training. I trained my pup (all my pups) to go outside. From the crate, right to the door, have him sit, go outside, and then praise and do "happy" dance. If he didn't, he went right back to his crate. Start to whine, take him out and repeat. I've never trained a pup to go on the newspaper. I guess just like the crate, if pup is excited, must go pee on the newspaper before she's allow out to explore.

Also remember pup's this young don't have big bladder control. So if she pees and then you let her out, I'd take her back to her room every hour and place her on the newspaper. Being consistent like this, she'll get to know this is the spot you want her to go at.

And yes, she will be so excited to see you. And yes, she won't want to go back to her room when there is a big world out there to explore. You just have to be strong and consistent. She'll get to be out and about in the big world when she's older.

KAZ

Thanks KAZ, ur very helpful, appreciated

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

how much time does she spend in the room VS how much time with you?

She's very young, you will have to carry the pup outside for potty breaks. Calmly walk in, gently pick her up and bring her to where she can potty. Wherever that may be. She has no control of her bladder really at that age so you need to be the one on the clock bringing out the puppy to where they can potty and rewarding when hey go in the right place.

I am thinking maybe puppy classes are not something available where you are?

Hi Dryfo, I think she is yet too young for classes, but although she will be 7 weeks old by tomorrow, she is quite energetic and hyper most of the time. I am trying not to take her out of the house meanwhile to avoid any risk because she hasn't had her first vaccination yet, which she will have tomorrow. Otherwise she bites a lot and loves biting my feet in a stron nonstoppable manner lol.

she is very cute but I cant drift my eyes off her for a sec

Smart move to keep her inside until her first vaccination. My pup didn't venture out of our backyard until he had his second round (12 weeks). Better safe than sorry.

You can start with training right now. Definitely work on "budding" habit of biting, with "No". Did that from Day One with our pup, and have to say, only mouthing when very tired or really excited. Really pleased. Also you can work with her with "sit". Then move on to "off". She's young but boy you would be surprised if you do things the same thing over and over, how she will get it.

Learned a term on another forum "nothing in life is free". Make her work for her food. My pup learned that he must sit before he receives his food. Also learning to retrieve could help with the energetic hyper energy. Keep all teaching time short and always end on a positive note.

I would research some on-line books on training pups and find things that work for you. Have fun, enjoy her as this is the best time to start that bond that will last a lifetime!

KAZ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast