New to the Forum. Hello. Looking to breed Male English Lab in the NY Metro area.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum. Hello. Looking to breed Male English Lab in the NY Metro area.

StanleyMatthews1205 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew to the Forum. Hello. Looking to breed Male English Lab in the NY Metro area.

Hi. We are interested in breeding our male English Lab with another English Lab in the NY Metro area. Son of Crufts Best in Breed. First time so I would appreciate any guidance or referrals. Thank You.
    Matt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Hi, Congrats on the Best in Breed! Since you are showing, this would mean you don't have a limited registration, which breeders use to keep their breeding rights (as much as possible). I would think the breeder of your champion would want to know who you are passing his lineage to? I know that's how my breeder is. A big stickler on where her line goes. Watches it like a hawk. Not just for show purposes, but health issues too. A good breeder doesn't want health issues popping up in her line. Something he/she has paid lots of money for tests on her breeding pair to make sure no health issues show up.

Why not contact the breeder? Get some feedback from him/her. Whether he/she is interested in continuing the line, or maybe point to another breeder who is interested. You would get better feedback going to the breeder of your champ IMHO.

Good Luck! Are you going to start your own kennel? Or are you just interested in studding your champ out?

KAZ

Eresh is offline Senior Member

If you haven't already, you will need his health clearances (at least OFA hips/elbows/eyes, EIC, PRA, heart, and CNM) as well as prove him in some venue (field or show) if you want to attract any decent females. (and demand those health clearances of any females too). It's great that he has a nice sire, but dogs with good pedigrees are a dime a dozen. With so many labs on this planet, he needs to really stand out from the others and have something to offer to better the breed's future generations.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

welcome.

If your pup is a son of a winner, have you talked to the breeder about your plans? They should be helping you with education and guidance.

Please please please take a deep breath and think about this and do RESEARCH, BEFORE you decide to breed. DO NOT go online to find a lab to breed to, especially not pet chat boards. Please educate yourself (talk to the breeder you got your dog from) about proper breeding. As mentioned above, you have to do some leg work before you breed (like the clearances) and prove you dog. Just because his dad is a winner and he's a great pet DOES NOT MEAN he should be bred.

Definitely take a step back and really research before breeding any animal, IMHO. With Labs, you really need to know which avenue you want to go. Not all pups in a litter is show quality, so where will those pups go? If not show quality, will they be able to do field, rescue, therapy, or even be a great pet? Not just worrying about clearances (top priority for healthy dogs) but also where these pups, who just don't cut the mustard, will go? How will you try to control breeding once they leave your premisis? Have you a network of show people or even rescues that can clue you in to illegal breeding (breaking contract).

You don't want to be part of the problem, but part of the solution. Responsible breeding is all that is needed. Because if you aren't responsible, the show family is very small, and you will find yourself on the outskirts, on your way to backyard breeder status. I'd applaud those who did it. More breeders who love their breeds should be so stern. But maybe be more open to those who want to start in this great hobby?

Step back, take a breath, do your research, get your clearances, and maybe find a mentor.

KAZ

KAZ

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Talk to your breeder. Certainly, I would think they'd have some concerns about someone wanting to breed who hasn't any experience. I have turned down several folks on breeding because they just want to put 2 dogs together and have no long term plans. It's a lot more complicated than that. With a male, I'd get out and try to prove that dog as much as possible. Hunt tests, obed, tracking, show... all are important functions to the breed. And yes, do the health testing of course!!!! If you already have, then fantastic... tell us more about your boy.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

A son of a winner is nothing worth breeding unless they have titles themselves. Get with your breeder, find out what health testing is required (plan on spending about $1000 for all of it). See if your dog is good enough to show. If not, what about training it for hunting titles, or obedience titles?

No titles, no clearances, no breeding.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Hi, Congrats on the Best in Breed! Since you are showing, this would mean you don't have a limited registration, which breeders use to keep their breeding rights (as much as possible). I would think the breeder of your champion would want to know who you are passing his lineage to? I know that's how my breeder is. A big stickler on where her line goes. Watches it like a hawk. Not just for show purposes, but health issues too. A good breeder doesn't want health issues popping up in her line. Something he/she has paid lots of money for tests on her breeding pair to make sure no health issues show up.

Why not contact the breeder? Get some feedback from him/her. Whether he/she is interested in continuing the line, or maybe point to another breeder who is interested. You would get better feedback going to the breeder of your champ IMHO.

Good Luck! Are you going to start your own kennel? Or are you just interested in studding your champ out?

KAZ
    The dog is an offspring not the winner. And winning a dog show doesn't necessarily make the dog a Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post
    The dog is an offspring not the winner. And winning a dog show doesn't necessarily make the dog a Champion.
    Thanks for the update. Definitely takes more than just one show to become a Champion. Plus money to register the champion. But if you can do it, looks good on a dog's resume.

Anyway OP, good luck with your pup. Definitely do the clearance tests, get in the ring and let your dog do his stuff!

KAZ

mauricio is offline Senior Member

just a question-why do you want to breed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast