Newbie - introducing my golden lab, Barney

Thread: Newbie - introducing my golden lab, Barney

Barney0609 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNewbie - introducing my golden lab, Barney

Barney and I come from the UK but now live in Dubai. He is coming up for 2 so lots of puppy still in him.

Very much in love with my doggie but here for a bit of advice from more experienced owners.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Barney is a wuss. He is scared of everyone and everything. For example, he now won't go out in the garden because the birds swoop at him (they are nesting) Every dog he comes across bites him and he just takes it. He will just cower in a corner while he is attacked. This a 35kg dog being attacked by overgrown rats!! There really isn't millimetre of aggression in him.

The problem I have is that my husband, who used to work from home, is returning to the office. I don't want to leave my pup on his own all day (for a start he gets so bored he is naughty!) but I cannot send him to day care because he'll be attacked. Is there anyway to train this behaviour out of him? I don't want an aggressive dog, but Barney is scared of his own shadow!!

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Someone to train? Well, how about you? Find a good place that trains dogs and go. Barney needs you more than ever if husband is going back to work. Also, talk to daycare, maybe they have trainers there too?

KAZ

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Is it even possible to train this behaviour out of him? I don't really know what is wrong. He will just cower in a corner and get bitten.

Daycare out in Dubai isn't the best.... dogs are pretty much hated here

mauricio is offline Senior Member

how long do you have the dog?

he doesn't even know he's yours yet, his surroundings, etc.
    and i suggest YOU train him, love him, and perhaps get a crate so he is safe while you are out all day. don't know how you feel about crates where you are, but they are lifesavers here. keeps the dog safe from damaging the entire house, or getting hurt. don't know how long he needs to be alone but perhaps if it is too many hours you can hire someone to come in, let him out and play with him a bit.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

You say he is new, how long have you had him?
    Do you know where he lived before? WHat was his living situation? DId he get outside at all? socialized to people or dogs?

Patience. Let him settle into his new home and slowly give him positive experiences and he will slowly improve. Fear is not really something you train. It's something you rehabilitate. Slowly, baby steps and thru POSITIVE associations and experiences. you need to push but slowly and only to the level they are ready for. if you push too hard you reinforce the fear.

Barney isn't new. I have had him since he was a 9 week old puppy, and shipped him over to Dubai with me a year ago. Sorry if I wasn't clear; I meant I was new to the forum.

He is almost perfect and can be left for hours without damaging anything. He is just very hyper when he is out on his walks! I think you are right, hiring a dog walker for the day time is my best bet. I will gradually introduce him to other dogs ; maybe as he gets older he will stop getting 'picked on'

Thanks all

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

No problem for being unclear. I'm like that sometimes too.

Sounds like a dog walker would be a great idea for the day time. And gradually introducing him to other dogs will build his confidence. Dogs do pick on those who seem to be more timid.

KAZ