Hi from Marley and Me

Thread: Hi from Marley and Me

Brook and Marley is offline Junior Member

DefaultHi from Marley and Me

Hello everyone! My names Brook and I just got (rescued) my 7 week old Lab Marley. We live in Arizona and are so excited to find a place we can chat with other lab lovers and get such wonderful information! This isn't my first rodeo with labs and they're by far my favorite breed. Right now we are working on crate training and potty training, and so far Marley has mastered the "sit" command and how to steal my heart!
    I'm so excited to meet y'all and learn about your sweetie bears too!

Love and licks,
    Brook and Marley

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome, When you say rescued....how did you come to rescue such a young pup?

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Hi, Welcome

congratulations on your new pup, Marley. Look forward to hearing more about your sweetie bear.

KAZ

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lablover: she was a from private breeder mill. The people are awful to their pups. This was the latest whelp and she was the runt. We were able to get her from the group who rescued them. We've had ER from 5 weeks 1 day. She's doin wonderful! She's gaining weight and so sweet and loving! As soon as I figure out posting pictures I'll share some.

Love and licks,
    Brook and Marley

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

welcome and congrats.

surprised a rescue let the puppies go to individual homes at 5 weeks. but c'est la vie, make sure to work very very hard on socialization as she missed out on lots of litter time. Find and sign up for puppy classes as soon as you can (generally they start at 8-10 weeks). You want to socialize in safe environments (not dog parks or pet stores) with known dogs. (or in a class where they screen and supervise).

Gee, would have been better if litter mates could have been fostered together. At 5 weeks, though weaned from Mom, most important part of a pup's education. Learning bite inhibition from his siblings. Something siblings are hardwired to do.

Would definitely find a safe environment, since your pup isn't fully vaccinated, for training in this important socialization phase. Thankfully my pup's 12 siblings did one heck of a job and I'm just continuing it. See such positive advancement already.

KAZ

Well we have a 3 year old chihuahua who's trained very well so Marley is getting lots of "lessons" in being a "good girl with doggy manners" from her, lol. I have signed her up for a puppy group at 10 weeks once she's got a few vaccinations under her. She's had her first so far and will be 10 weeks August 20th. I've been doing a lot of socializing with her, training (the sit and stay and come commands) bc I'm a stay home mom so I'm with her all day. She's doing amazing in her crate training and loves to be there at night and will go in even when we are all in the living room together over laying next to us sometimes. I honestly felt like she'd benefit more being here with us than a shelter. She was the last without a home or foster and since we've raised and been fosters for labs before I know we have the skill and time and training to make sure she's an awesome family fur baby. Thank you all for giving me support and ideas as to what I can continue doing to make sure she's happy, healthy, socialized and the best sweetie she can be! I'm glad there's no judgements here, just helpful info!

Love and licks,
    Brook and Marley

Sounds like Marley will be just fine. Past foster parent for labs, Marley has a buddy to help her understand the doggie manners, and you both will enjoy the puppy classes. Plus being a stay at home mom (good for you) lots of time to help your sweetie grow into an awesome companion.

Look forward to hearing more about your Marley.

KAZ