Hi + New Member from Philippines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi + New Member from Philippines

lordbench is offline Junior Member

DefaultHi + New Member from Philippines

Hi guys and gals,

So happy to be a member in a lab forum. This is my second community (the first is a gps community . I'm from the Phils and owner of a 2 years old yellow lab. I'm planning to breed so my friend lend his 5 years old black lab to me to take prior to mating. Am not sure if 5 years old is still an ideal age for a lab to breed. The black lab also has no experience in mating/breeding.

I give myself a month and see if I could monitor when she is in heat and proceed.

Love the posts and threads. I'll be here in a while.

Thanks,
    Bench

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Hi, am a newish member myself. Nice to meet you and look forward to hearing more about your Yellow Lab that sounds like will be a Mom one day. Don't know much about breeding dogs (have bred rabbits) but knowing all the issues Labs have, starting out with a truly health checked pair would be the way I would want to start out with. Especially for my sweet girl.

Sounds exciting though, as I'm a proud owner of a 9 week old black lab, and had a breeder who was just so sharing with photos, videos, facts on where the pups were, it was like watching a litter grow up from my computer. Nothing like doing it for real as there is lots for a breeder to do to help Mom raise those pups and even at weaning time.

Wishing you all the luck. Look forward to hearing how this venture in puppies go.

KAZ

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

Very cool, I lived in Manilla for just over 5 years. Where are you?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Hi, am a newish member myself. Nice to meet you and look forward to hearing more about your Yellow Lab that sounds like will be a Mom one day. Don't know much about breeding dogs (have bred rabbits) but knowing all the issues Labs have, starting out with a truly health checked pair would be the way I would want to start out with. Especially for my sweet girl.

Sounds exciting though, as I'm a proud owner of a 9 week old black lab, and had a breeder who was just so sharing with photos, videos, facts on where the pups were, it was like watching a litter grow up from my computer. Nothing like doing it for real as there is lots for a breeder to do to help Mom raise those pups and even at weaning time.

Wishing you all the luck. Look forward to hearing how this venture in puppies go.

KAZ

Thanks KAZ. Bella is now having her menstrual cycle (her 2nd or 3rd day). As I did the research, correct me if I'm wrong, I'll wait for the 14 days before I introduce the Charlie to mate with her. Am really excited.

Am really open to your advises and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by fan of fanboys View Post
    Very cool, I lived in Manilla for just over 5 years. Where are you?
    Hi fan of fanboys. I'm your newest fan

I was born in Davao City, Southern part of the Phils. Then I worked in Quezon City in the last 6 years but now I'm Santiago City, Isabela with my wife in the norther part of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by lordbench View Post
    Thanks KAZ. Bella is now having her menstrual cycle (her 2nd or 3rd day). As I did the research, correct me if I'm wrong, I'll wait for the 14 days before I introduce the Charlie to mate with her. Am really excited.

Am really open to your advises and suggestions.
    Did a bit of research myself as breeding rabbits is a WHOLE different experience than breeding dogs.

14 days sounds right. But has Charlie met Bella already? I've read that it is good to introduce the dogs first. Cutting down on stress I would think.

Found this site, hope it helps.

Dogs In Heat - An Owners Guide To the Reproductive Cycle In Dogs

Definitely an exciting time! Fingers crossed!

KAZ

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

What clearances are required in your country to breed labs reputably?? If you don't know, find out and do NOT breed until you have done the testing.

Here's something on Australia's clearances.

..Health Clearances in the Labrador Retriever....

I did try to look up your Country's but could not find anything on their standards.

Definitely good to do the testing first. Will alleviate any heartache down the road for yourself and your potential owners. Though there is no guarantee in life, knowing the parents were tested and cleared, as some health issues don't show up until the dog is older, makes me feel better for my pup.

Expensive, yes to start out having all these tests. Waiting to see if all comes back clear. But will be the best money spent. Knowing parents are clear and pups have a great chance for a long healthy life.

KAZ

mauricio is offline Senior Member

hi and welcome.

have yu done all the clearances on your dog before breeding?
    has the other dog had clearances done as well?

because if you haven't, you shouldn't be breeding.(in my humble opinion) . there are many genetic issues labs can have , and passing them on to pups, just isn't the thing to do. and testing is very expensive to boot. most "breeders" start out being mentored by another breeder. are you being mentored?

perhaps some breeders, if they still are around can discuss further.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

welcome.

definitely do much much more research on breeding and if she is in heat now and you haven't then I'd recommend waiting til her next heat.

Now, things must be done very different where you are. So your best bet is to find a reputable breeder or the breed club for your area and see what they recommend. Find someone knowledgeable in whelping who can guide you and prepare you. (for this part you don't need a lab breeder per say, and not just someone that "had a litter" i mean someone that is knowledgeable)(

While yes lots of mom dogs have litters with no issues, sometimes things go very very bad very very fast. It is a risk to your girl to have a litter. You need to be prepared to properly care for a pregnant dog, and have someone to guide you thru the whelp (delivery) to know what signs to look for that means RUN TO THE VET (and have a vet on standby, someone you know you will reach no matter the time of the delivery). Having puppies is not always as easy is at seems.

And then caring for the puppies for 8 weeks (preferably) is also lots of work. So really think hard about if you are ready for all that work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast