Brand new Lab owner to 9 month old, very overwhelmed!

Thread: Brand new Lab owner to 9 month old, very overwhelmed!

kcaf0624 is offline Junior Member

DefaultBrand new Lab owner to 9 month old, very overwhelmed!

SO glad to find this forum. My husband and I rescued a black Lab puppy last weekend and it has been overwhelming. Reading the posts here has done wonders for easing my mind, but I still have so many questions.

We have a 3 year old Jack Russell mix named Lucy, and Mayhem came to us on Sunday after what sounds to be a sad life. She is crate trained (sort of... apparently the people who had her kept her crated about 90% of the time, horrible and sad and a big reason why she came home to us). She does follow some basic commands (sit, paw, etc.) and seems to be wicked smart and listens very well.

She is very energetic, AND HUGE! She already weighs 60 pounds (born last October - is that normal?!). Her coordination reminds me of a baby horse, she is still awkward and uncoordinated at times which is comical to watch.

She and Lucy seem to get along most of the time, but Mayhem does have that puppy playfulness in her and wants to play with Lucy. Lucy is tiny (18 pounds!) and doesn't always appreciate the bigger dog crowding over her and mouthing.

My biggest worry is potty training. Mayhem is potty trained, but we don't seem to make it to the door in time when we get home (after 3 hours) and let her out of the crate to go outside. We have had gallons of pee unleashed (maybe a little exaggeration) on our floors as we try to get her outside. Once she gets outside, she pees even more! Is there a "trick" to getting her to hold it until we make it outside, or is this just something that she needs to develop as time goes on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Her size seems well within normal for a lab. Most of the growth will have been done by now.
    My concern would be that she needs to potty so much and so badly after only 3 hrs. How much water is she drinking? I would have a vet check her over for urinary tract/bladder/kidney issues. There may have been a reason for all the crate time in her former home. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Mayhem (or May for short) has been drinking a lot of water since she came to us. It has been very hot and humid in the Boston area (where we live). Her frequency isn't that often, but the volume is definitely there. I am hoping that the loss of control is just because of the excitement. She didn't get any love or attention where she was.

The people we rescued her from, as I said before, kept her in the crate for 18 hours a day (at least). The male owner apparently had dementia and was unable to take care of her, so he put her up on CraigsList. A friend of ours knows the family and told us what had happened, so we decided we needed to save her from a tragedy.

When she came to our house, she didn't seem to miss the old family at all. It made us sad, but we were also happy to be able to give her the love she deserves.

Her first checkup appointment with the vet isn't for a few weeks. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or pain, which in my past experience with pets UTIs can be very painful. If she starts to exhibit any symptoms other than the powerful pee blasts every 5 hours or so, I will bring her in for an urgent care appointment.

Thanks for your reply!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Alucard is offline Junior Member

It sounds to me like you need to start from the basics. When we had a puppy like this we ended up sticking pee pads down the hall way. I suggest doing that. Also if it's short trips like 3 hours or shorter restrict her water intake. Set a small bowl down and open the windows and turn on a fan. Also don't forget to give her treats when she does go outside or on the pad if you want to try to use them. Most of the time they will learn that if the use the bathroom out side they get a treat so they will run to the door!!

Hi, Alucard. I just wanted to give you an update on Miss Mayhem.

She is doing better - the mouthing is tapering off (yelling OUCH! REALLY WORKS!!). She has still had accidents in the house, mainly with my husband who seems to forget every time and starts giving her loving at the door instead of getting her outside in time. I wish he would clean up the mess afterwards, but that's a minor issue. She does come to me and starts whining and barking, and I am getting much better at reading her signals when we are home. I am trying to get into the habit of taking her out at least every 90 minutes and then making a big deal when she pees outside by rubbing her ears and repeating "GOOD GIRL!" over and over again.

She is getting along better with our smaller dog, and I have caught her nuzzling her and giving her loves. The cat? Well, the cat doesn't appreciate the attention but Mayhem still tries. Got to admire her commitment to being part of the family.

Our vet said she is doing very well, very healthy, and she now weighs 62 pounds. We are feeding her Nutro large breed puppy formula and she seems to be thriving much better on that diet than the crappy puppy chow she was being fed by her former owners. She loves the dog park, and has taken to playing fetch with whoever has the ball. I am surprised at how quickly we have bonded with her. She is amazing.

Alucard is offline Junior Member

That is great to hear. My lab puppy is not as bad as yours but he has to go out every 2 hrs lol I am always like you just went out!

Rupertsilva10 is offline Junior Member

That's nice to hear. I'm really glad she's doing better now. I would have suggested potty training her but I think you've done a great job. Sounds like Mayhem is very happy when she's around you.