Breeder Question

Thread: Breeder Question

madigan11 is offline Junior Member

DefaultBreeder Question

I'm currently doing research on breeders in the hopes of finding a lab puppy. Has anyone heard of Van Dalen or Sheabourne kennel, and if so your opinion?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Both are reputable breeders.

Thanks for your reply.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AndyGJ is offline Junior Member

I was looking for a Yellow Lab back in March of this year, and I spoke to the owner of Van Dalen Labs...she is very knoweldgeable and sounds like a very good breeder of British Labs. If you are looking for a British lab, then she is an excellent one located in GA.

Huntfield in Mississippi is also an Excellent one that my brother in law has purchase 3 British Labs from and has been extremely happy with all three over the past 10+ years, and they came highly recommended.

I was after an American Lab (or field lab) so my search led me to Ashland Kennels near Macon, GA for our Yellow Lab purchase. We have had Cody since March 1st as he is now turning 6 months old and could not be happier with our purchase. He is everything we were promised by the breeder. Ashland Kennels also came highly recommended by two other sources that had purchased both puppies and even one purchased a finished dog, so I felt very comfortable purchasing from Ashland.

Do your research on what line you are after (British or American) and then pick your breeder from there.

Good Luck and I hope that helps!

Andy.

AndyGJ is offline Junior Member

Oh, one other note, my brother in law lives in Atlanta, GA about 5 miles away from me. He has flown out to Jackson, MS to Huntfield each time and flown back with the puppy. He told the breeder the kind of disposition he was looking for, and they selected / suggested a puppy for him when he arrived based on the litter.

When we arrived at Ashland Kennels, we were picking from a litter of yellows that had a few different shades. I stepped into the puppy pen, and called to the puppies...Cody came prancing right up to me right away. After we played with the puppies for about 20 minutes, we could easily tell that Cody was the right one for us...and he was a gorgeous golden shade of yellow. Every time we go somewhere with Cody, I get all kinds of remarks about how amazing his color is and how handsome he is....even the vets remark about this and they see a ton of dogs/labs in Atlanta.

Cody is incredibly smart and takes to any training almost immediately. My niece purchased a British lab from a breeder in Ohio while in college up there this winter, and surprised her parents with the purchase when she came home (my sister was not too happy about this!). Gunner, their puppy, is British and very handsome as well.

Not to say anything about the British line, but more about the breeding potential...I have tried to help with some training for Gunner, but he doesn't seem to take to the training as easily. Both labs are about 3 weeks apart in age. All dogs will learn at different rates and paces, but be sure to check on some prior owners comments on how easy or how well their dogs have taken to training. A smart dog will take better to training. Also check the field and hunt test trials awards that the ancestry has obtained. It will go a long way to show what the dogs are capable of from a training stance.

Hope that helps.
    Andy.

Andy

Thanks so much for your advice.