New Chocolate Lab!

Thread: New Chocolate Lab!

StevenMorg is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Chocolate Lab!

Hi all

I'm a new puppy owner and would like some advice from you experienced bunch :-)

I have a chocolate lab who is about 9.5 weeks old and I've had him since he was 7 weeks old. I took two weeks off work to get him settled into our home and he was great, I'd even tested how he would be when left alone for a few hours to see how he would cope when I was out and he was fine. However, I've now returned to work and he has destroyed the place. He has chew toys and had been played with before I left to tire him out a bit, just as I did when I was off, so I'm not sure where I've gone wrong.

I'm also thinking about crate training, do you think this would help?

Thanks for any advice
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

I would definately advise you get a crate, when and if you do introduce the pup slowly to the crate if he goes in give a treat, possibly fees him in his crate also to associate the crate as a safe place, do not use the crate as a punishment.

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Since i cant edit....I meant feed not fees! also a crate is t only for you...it ensures your pups safety while you are out as they are not going to be able to get into anything dangerous i.e wires...cleaning cupboard etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

how long are you away from the house?

absolutely crate train. but a puppy will need a midday break to potty for awhile yet.

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

Congrats on puppy!

Like mentioned you 100% need a crate. Leaving the puppy out all day is bad for your house and the dog for many reasons. You'll want a smaller crate, just enough room for them to be comfortable.

Like mentioned the crate should be a happy place, not used for punishment. Leave crate open during day and evening when you are there. Feed the dog in there. Give treats in there.

The general rule is puppy can stay in there 1 hour for each month they are old. So right now you are at about 2 hours. So every two hours they need let out to use the bathroom and run a bit then they can go back in.

Seriously, get a crate. Leaving the dog out is a bad idea, even if you confine to a room.

Some people let their dogs out of crate once they hit a certain maturity level. Some will crate the dog every time they leave house for dog's entire life. I like idea of crate because it keeps the dog safe (they can't chew on something have something dangerous, or fatal, happen) and the dog should be comfortable and feel safe there. At night my dog sometimes goes into the crate and sleeps even though I leave crate door open.

StevenMorg is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice so far, very useful!

We actually have a crate but have taken the door off so at the minute its just like a bed area for him. Hopefully as he is used to it bein 'his area' it will make it easier to properly crate him ongoing with the door on, I just worry about him being locked in a crate for a length of time, although I can appreciate the benefits.

Thankfully I can make it home for a while over lunchtime so has a little break in the day.

Thanks again