Shoulder pain from jumping in and out of swimming pool

Thread: Shoulder pain from jumping in and out of swimming pool

kaluah is offline Junior Member

DefaultShoulder pain from jumping in and out of swimming pool

Hello.

I have a 10 year old chocolate lab that loves to swim. She does not act like a 10 year old dog at all. Very playful and generally healthy. When she spends hours jumping in and out of the pool she gets sore shoulders and has stiffness in the evening and in the morning. She even walks a little funny with stiff forelegs for a day or two.

Yesterday she was swimming and jumping in and out for a couple of hours after not having been in the water for about 3 weeks. At one point she experienced trouble jumping out of the pool from a ledge in that is the equivalent of two normal steps. She could not get out. Her front legs failed her. We helped her out and she was walking ok, but we made her stop swimming at that point, against her will.

She takes fish oil twice a day and Astaxanthin once a day. Is this arthritis or just over-use? Should I give her a glucosamine chondroitin supplement? If so, is any one better than another? Dosage? Any other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaluah is offline Junior Member

Oh, I forgot. I also give her flaxseed every morning with some berries and or papaya a couple of hours after her breakfast of dry dog food without grains. The flaxseed and Astaxanthin are anti-inflamatory, that's why I had not introduced glucosamine/chondroitin earlier.