Just adopted, Am I on a honeymoon?

Thread: Just adopted, Am I on a honeymoon?

nvdrake is offline Junior Member

QuestionJust adopted, Am I on a honeymoon?

Hello all,

Just joined the forum/lab owners "club"

My name is Nathan, and I am from St. Louis

My and my wife just adopted a 1-1.5 year old lab mix (with what i don't know). He's 54lbs now, but too skinny (ribs showing a bit), rescue said he should be around 60lbs or so

He was very friendly at the rescue, and is behaving incredibly well in the 24 hours we've had him home. I've read about a "honeymoon period", and i'm nervous we might have a monster in a few weeks? Right now he is very happy and friendly, we've already taught him to sit, so he seems very smart. My pessimist side is wondering if this is the calm before the storm?

Has anyone experienced a "honeymoon period"? and should i be worried?

Can dogs hide serious problems, or will i just start seeing minor behavior issues when he's comfortable (chewing things, digging, etc.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

annap24 is offline Junior Member

Speaking from personal experience, the two dogs I've adopted (one lab mix at 4 months and one GSD at 1-1.5 years) acted pretty much the same as when I first got them. The 4 month old lab became a lot less skittish and more outgoing, but didn't misbehave more (until he reached adolescence haha). The GSD actually got calmer after the first week or so. It is possible for new behaviors to surface, but they're usually minor and things you'll just learn as you're around them more. The dogs don't really hide problems, but you just may not know about some quirks until you get to know the dog better. Congrats on adopting!

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Don't leave it alone to wander freely in your home.

Before Ruby, we adopted a 2 yesr old Siberian Husky.
    Everyday for 5 days we brought her to work and she calmly laid under my wife desk sleeping and looking out the open door not 3 feet from her.
    Each night she was so calm and docile at home we thought maybe there was something wrong with her. Aren't Huskies nuts?

She duped us. Sunday we left for church for an hour and heft here to roam the house. - Our late shep/chow was good as gold left at home.

She tore down and ripped up 4 venison blinds, ripped up 1/3 of the flooring in the mud room and pulled up some carpet.
    She bled some on the windows doing this in a frantic fit of separation anxiety.

We took her back to the shelter the next day.

Ruby was brought into the house as a pup but we won't even risk it again. Ruby is crated in one of those big wire cages if we have to leave her and all through the night.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

annap24 is offline Junior Member

I do agree with the above poster that you shouldn't leave the dog alone out of a crate until you trust it completely, but that is the case with any dog, adopted or not!

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

After what happened with the Siberian, if Ruby was to actually talk to me saying "Oh no worries, you kids go have a good time and I'll just catch up on Animal Planet" I would tell her, " Ruby, go to your crate"
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Yes most dogs have a honeymoon period. But it doesn't mean they become hellions after. MOst dogs in a new home like that are under stress and anxiety (even if they seem to be handling it well) due to the changes. THey are learning the ropes, figuring you out. Once they are comfortable and settles, they can test rules and boundaries, come out of their shell.

HOW MUCH of a change - there is no way to know. Was the dog in foster care? iF so how long? If he was with a foster family for over a few weeks you will have a better idea of what habits he formed. If he wasn't in foster care very long (or at all) then it'll be a wait and see.

I would set the rules NOW. don't allow now what you won't later. Crate train if you haven't. Start leaving him alone for short periods (even if don't have to). Start training, and I would HIGHLY recommend starting an obedience class ASAP - they are WONDERFUL for bonding with a dog.

Marrowshard is offline Junior Member

I've personally never had a "honeymoon" period with any of my dogs. They've all been rescues and from the get-go they wear a traffic lead in the house (easier to grab than a collar if things go bad fast) and are always crated at night and when I leave the house. The trainer we consulted with our first dog gave us a good idea ... keep a journal for a while of things the dog does, good or bad, and how much/what kind of training you did that day. Sounds stupid, but it helps, especially when you're trying to be consistent and attentive with a new dog.

I just brought home a new rescue myself and sometimes I forget that he doesn't know what I want. The commands he might have learned earlier are different now. Just realize that a dog in a new place is going to start off cautious but as he/she adapts they'll fall back on what they know.

~Marrow