7 wk Chocolate Lab

Thread: 7 wk Chocolate Lab

hunters_mom is offline Junior Member

Default7 wk Chocolate Lab

Hi everyone!

Hunter is a 7 week old chocolate lab puppy and....a handful! I definitely went through the puppy blues and am still having anxiety over having him. I researched and have waited over a year to get a puppy to make sure I was ready. I can't help but doubt myself...Overall, I think he's doing great and he's so fun to be around! But can definitely be a stinker that needs constant supervision. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I had a puppy before when I was younger, but he was a tiny Westie.

Here are some pics! (Sorry, I don't know why it's uploading upside down and sideways)

20140611_193447.jpg

20140611_153531.jpg

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

welcome and congrats. did you get him at 7 weeks or earlier than that?

SIgn up for puppy classes ASAP, with a good training school. they should help you with normal puppy "issues" and help guide you in training your pup. but most importantly it will get you started on safe socialization. These classes are ment for puppies that have not had all their shots yet.

Ian Dunbar is a wonderful world renown training, he has a wonderful site with TONS of great free information:
    Raising a Puppy | Dog Star Daily

He has two books for free download that can help for right now:
    Free downloads | Dog Star Daily

The Puppy Primer by Patricia McConnell is a terrific book
    The Puppy Primer book | Puppy Training Book | Patricia McConnell

Culture Clash - Jean Donaldson also a great book with some great step by step training wrapped up with lots of great info on how to understand how dogs think VS how humans think (which is important to understand)
    The culture clash - Jean Donaldson - Google Books

Thank you! We got him at 6.5 weeks. I didn't know about the 8 week rule. But, we haven't had trouble with him biting us hard or eating his hard food. He does love to bite other things, though!

We have looked into puppy classes that start at 8 weeks and we will definitely be attending those. He has 'sit' down pretty well already with clicker training! I'm not sure if asking for more is too tiring on him; he loses attention quickly. Thanks for the resources!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

that's really too bad the breeder let them go but what's done is done, and you have a wonderful new family member.

Puppies learn A LOT from littermates and mom from 6 weeks to 8 weeks. It sounds like only two weeks but it's a HUGE amount of time. So your pup didn't learn about nipping and such so you may have a harder time but - with consistency he will learn not to nip.

If you ever get another lab pup make sure to read up on what makes a good reputable breeder, that they do all the clearances on both parents and prove them, and take care of the pups properly and keep them for a full 8 weeks.

Puppies have attention spans of a gnat. for many months to come. It gets a little better with time but not a ugh leap Patience

I appreciate the advice. He seems like a smarty-pants so I'm sure he'll eventually pick it up! I've been learning a lot about patience the past couple of days.

annap24 is offline Junior Member

Congrats on your new puppy! One suggestion I have is to socialize your puppy with other well-behaved dogs you know (that are fully vaccinated of course). This will help a great deal with the nipping because the other dog will show the puppy what isn't acceptable!

onecrazymamma is offline Junior Member

Just be consistent and your pup will do great! One night I repeated myself 15 times before he finally got it

Thanks everyone for the welcome and advice!

He's doing great he sleeps throughout the night. When he does need to take a potty break, he goes out, but then relaxes in his crate once we get inside again. He knows sit very well and is consistent with stay and paw! Working on loose leash walking and down. He's starting to bite more and more, but that's him being a puppy. He is signed up for puppy classes and has time with the neighbor's adult lab, so I think he will learn quickly! We yelp, stand up, and turn away when he starts going for us.

He can be a handful, but I just love love love when he gets tired out and cuddles nicely. Here are some new pictures! He's growing so fast. Any tips about biting (and how to stop him from begging for food!) is very much appreciated

20140627_071852.jpg
    20140624_182105.jpg
    20140626_191732.jpg