Hello

Thread: Hello

roepkees is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Emily and I have a six year old chocolate lab named Charlie. I got Charlie from a rescue group about 3 years ago. I've had dogs all my life, but I've never had one like Charlie. He is the most affectionate dog I've ever had; he's always overjoyed to see me and he just makes me so happy. He has not been without his issues though. The rescue group told me that they rescued him from a shelter where he was suffering from severe ringworm and was malnourished. The rescue group put him through some elementary obedience classes and got his ringworm treated; they also got him micro-chipped. After I brought him home I discovered what I was afraid might be a tumor in his shoulder. The vet examined him and said it was a 2nd microchip. They scanned it and got the registration number from Charlie's original owner. I called the microchip company and found out that he was born in August 2008 and was micro-chipped at about 10 weeks. The account had been closed for some time so the owner had either given him up or stopped looking for him.
    Last October when I got home from a gig, Charlie ran out the front door while I was bringing in equipment. He's chocolate so it's almost impossible to see him outside at night. As I was trying to call him in, a car came down our road and Charlie ran right out in front of it. He got trapped under the front of the car and was dragged for 20 ft. When the car finally stopped, he was still trapped and we had to get the car to reverse off of him. As soon as he was free he ran back to the front porch. We rushed him to the emergency vet and were told that he had no internal damage. He did have severe road rash on his stomach and the insides of his back legs, and had to have stitches in his legs. His tail had gotten trapped under the wheel of the car and was crushed beyond repair, so he had to have it amputated. Overall though, he was very lucky. I was never so scared in my life, and I know he felt the same way. Ever since I got him, and especially since the accident, I've been trying to do everything in my power to make sure he has as healthy and as happy an existence as possible. That's why I wanted to join this forum, to share and try to find solutions to some of the health and behavior issues that Charlie has.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

WOW!! I am amazed charlie survived that accident! what a dog!! Welcome to the forum.