Labrador Puppy

Thread: Labrador Puppy

marshalls family is offline Junior Member

DefaultLabrador Puppy

Hello Labrador Lovers,

I have had a labrador and retriever growing up, now I have my own family (Husband and 3 year old) and have a puppy due to be picked up mid next month (July) with full time work committments, (I have taken two weeks off for when we are due to collect), My Mum thought it might be a bit cruel. THe last thing I want is to leave a little puppy home and sad all day, do you think it's best I should cancel the puppy until I can take off a more sufficient time down the track? We are full of love for him, and have a suitable home for him, but the time factor makes me worry after my Mums conversation with me.

Please let me know your thoughts. And if you do think it's possible to do the right thing by a puppy plus work full time.

Best Regards
    A

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

welcome.

are you able to hire a dog walker or have a friend come over and let the puppy out mid day? a puppy cannot hold their bladder very long.

how long are you away from the home for? when you are not working can you dedicate the rest of the day to the pup? how much time in a day can you dedicate to the puppy.

when the puppy is older how much exercise can give them daily and what kind? how much time can you spend training the puppy?

DefaultLabrador Puppy

Thanks for welcoming us.

We will definately be able to pop back at lunch time to have a quick play and feed or make sure someone does. Fortunately my husband and I are both on the road with work, so between the two of us we will make sure this happens. When we get home he will be loved and walked and lots of time on the weekends.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

once a lab puo hits 7-8mts they need an hour minimum off leash play daily. walks are a great part of the routine but dont tire out a teenage dog.

good luck, please do your research on finding a reputable breeder. once that does all health clearances and proves their dog in some venu like conformation.

SmileThanks dryfo

An hour a day should be no problem - thankfully we live close to some nice parks.

We have done our research on breeders and have found a reputable one we hope.

So you think it is possible to train and provide enough love outside of working hours?

Thanks
    Marshall's family

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Personally, as a breeder... I'd be less than lukewarm about your situation unless you have a full time babysitter/nanny willing to take on a puppy in addition. I know a lot of folks seem to manage it, but an awful lot of folks end up returning the dog to the breeder or worse, put it in rescue, once it hits the terrible teens and needs more interaction and guidance. I'd rethink why you really want a dog and if you really think it's fair to the dog. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

DefaultThank you Anne

I do appreciate your honest and frank answer which is why we are asking the questions. I will have more annual leave entitlements by the time he hits the 6-8 month mark. I really need to decide in the next few days so I can give the breeder sufficient notice if we aren't going to go through with it. If we are committed but these are our limitations, do you think it is at all possible or should we with a heavy heart put the breaks on it?

I was keen to hear from perhaps any others in a similar boat who managed to achieve it and have a happy dog/ work life, but my priveledges don't seem to extend to the more viewed forum and only the "welcome one" which doesn't seem to get much traction. Do any of you have a way you can repost on the busier forum thread for me?

Thanks again for the time and answers, they are been considered.

Regards
    Marshall's Family

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

I am currently studying and my boyfriend works full-time. Part of my course involves doing full time work which involves 12 hour shifts. (max 3 per week). When i re-homed my lab at just about 4 months i was worried about how she would deal with this but she has fitted into our life so well as we dedicate our non work hours to our lab. We have someone who comes to pick her up on the days i'm 12 hours and takes her to their house for a min of 3 hours which is a massive benefit! It is a massive transition when you get a dog but as long as EVERYONE is committed to the changes then it should ideally work out. making sure everyone is involved in training, exercising etc is essential for the pup to respect everyone.

If you decide it will be doable for your family good luck to you. I know some people might nit agree with me having a dog when i can be out for 12 hours but i'm also home more often than i am away so it balances out. Our dog is a very happy one. Good luck!!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Much of your success will depend on the pup's energy level and temperament. Not many of the pups I've bred recently would be happy to be left alone all day, w/ nothing to do but sleep, however, if you are buying from a very mellow, happy go lucky litter, you may be just fine.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Red facethanks again

Hi Both

Thanks for your recent replies. Pleased to hear the work/study/puppy balance is working for you.

We have decided to go ahead with our pup, we are excited for our first viewing this weekend coming and get to pick him up mid next month. We will stay on here for hints & tips & will do the best job we can. If that means engaging the neighbours to pop in for a play throughout the day we will be doing whatever it takes.

Really appreciate everyones time to respond.

Have a lovely week.

Marshall's Family.