Any other Silver Lab owners?
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other Silver Lab owners?

MsMagnolia43 is offline Junior Member

CoolAny other Silver Lab owners?

Hi! As a first-time Lab owner, and having the unique pleasure of unexpectedly finding a silver one, just wondering if anyone else out there also has one. Atticus is 100% pure Lab from a reputable breeder, and some of his litter mates were also silver, and some were champagne. If there are other owners of the
    Silver Labs out there, do you encounter people who doubt the fact that they're a real Lab, but mixed with a
    Weimaraner? I did meet one lady on the street in a nearby town who recognized him immed as a Silver Lab who told me she raised them as seeing eye dogs in Michigan. He's a real beauty!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

welcome.

this board is pretty quiet as most of the regular users were kicked off by the new management.

You can do a search on silvers (in the search board to the top right of the board) if you want to get a "feel" for the view on these dogs here though.

Thanks for your info. But how weird that many regular users were kicked off! Hope I don't do anything to "earn" that kind of treatment!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

No reputable breeders breed silver (or other dilute) Labradors, sorry. And there is one organization in Michigan who trains dogs for the blind, they wouldn't go near silvers.

Sorry - I just reported what someone who seemed to be a very nice, honest person told me. I didn't have any reason to doubt her, and the research my husband and I have done on the Silver Labs seems perfectly legitimate as well. We didn't buy this puppy with plans to breed him (and will be having him "fixed" in the next week or so). We just loved him at first sight and are very happy with him. He's a beauty and causes quite a stir everywhere we go. He's our baby, pure bred or mutt - and we love him to bits.

Dad of Four is offline Member

Welcome to the board, Congrats on you new pup. Although the purest will beg to differ on if the silver/champagne labs being 100% lab and comes from a reputable breeder is opening up a heavily debated and on going argument around here and must every other lab board.

Still, get your post count up and let us see Atticus.
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/2005
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/2010
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10

At the Bridge
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/2009 - 3/19/2015
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/2009 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

Dad of Four is offline Member

How old is he? If he's under 18 months, do some research before neutering. Waiting has it's advantages.
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/2005
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/2010
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10

At the Bridge
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/2009 - 3/19/2015
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/2009 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

mauricio is offline Senior Member

no reputable (that's the word we're using) breeder will sell or breed silver labs.

labs come in black, chocolate, and yellow. different shades of yellow but if you see "white labs" , run. red fox is a type of yellow with a red tinge to it.perfectly legal and accepted .
    NO SILVER
    and it has not all that much to do with whether or not you will breed your dog. if you read up, you might educate yourself and see what you "may" be in for.

DefaultAtticus - not accepted?

This all seems slightly depressing and a little disturbing. I'm finding conflicting information about the legitimacy of our beautiful and very bright silver lab puppy, now six months old. What are you suggesting? He's ours for the long run, and we love him dearly. We didn't get him because we wanted a registered dog, only because we were struck by how beautiful he is. Our trainer says he behaves like any typical lab puppy and is very bright and a fast learner. What more could we ask or expect? I doubt he's going to turn into some kind of demonic monster. The lady who told me she trains silver labs in MI had no reason to lie to me. We merely ran into her while strolling around a nearby beach town, and she stopped to compliment us on our fine specimen of a Lab. That's all.

SLAB is offline Member

Don't let the silver haters disturb you too much just enjoy your lab whatever color it is and, allow them to continue the silliness of bad mouthing anything that's not their favorite color. shades of yellow from red to white, seem fine, but shades of chocolate ie silver-ish or shades of black charcoal, have given them heartburn. It's ok there are more and more legitimate breeders who include the dilute gene in their kennel of healthy tested breeding dogs, as well as the more traditional BYC labbies.... either way they're great pets, and hunters. Don't let the haters scare you away inspite of their lack of understanding about the dilute gene's origins they're still pretty good folks on here with a lot of knowledge on other topics.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast