Hello Everyone From Maine

Thread: Hello Everyone From Maine

BO JACK is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello Everyone From Maine

After our "Jack" a black lab died last August, we've been contemplating a new dog but, haven't had the time.....my son who was in college came home February break with a surprise....a yellow 9 week old lab "BO"...It's been a few months and BO is now 4.5 months old. Just wanted to say hi.

At 9 weeks...
    photo 1.jpg

At 4 months...
    photo 3.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I was going to post this under Lab Health and Nutrition but for some reason it wouldn't let me...
    When BO was about 10-12 weeks old he started having diarrhea and after a week or two of taking him to the vet and having every test done, the vet said it was just "Sensitive Puppy Tummy"; so they put him on Purina EN and for the next 4 weeks or so we have been slowly increasing his normal food Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy.

The problem started when we initially brought him home from the breeder and he was on Purina ONE Large Breed Puppy and was doing fine. We decided to try an new; better food so we switched him over to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Puppy and that's when he started with the diarrhea. We bought the regular Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy and along with the Purina EN he's been doing fine.

He currently eats 4 times a day with a 1/4 cup of Purina EN and 3/4 cups of the Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy. Even now, there a days when his stool is a bit too soft which concerns us. Sooner or later we will need to get him on normal food and I'm wondering if we should stick with the Blue Buffalo or switch him back to the Purina One Large Breed Puppy? Is there any other food that might work for a puppy with sensitive tummy?

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Hi, new here myself and my first experience with a Lab. My Lilly is 6-1/2 months old and is a rescue.

My condolences on your loss of Jack, but congratulations on getting a new pup, Bo. Sorry to hear about his "tummy" problems, but if it was me, I would go back to the original food your pup was on. I've read many threads about what to feed your pup, and the best advise I read is that if you want to change your pups' food, to at least feed one bag of the breeder's food and then gradually change. Or keep the pup on the breeder's food for a year as that's the most important growth time for a Lab. Unfortunately we have no idea what Lilly was eating when she was out on her own, so what we changed her to has not been bad for her. Not Purina though. Not a food snob, just very disheartened with Purina. Glad to read that Purina is coming back but we feel their is no excuse for the time that has lapsed to get to this point of better food. I guess better late than never.

KAZ

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Kaz. It looks like for the time being, Bo is back on track and is doing real well on the regular not Wilderness Blue Buffalo.