First Timer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Timer

walkities is offline Junior Member

DefaultFirst Timer

Hello to all,

Having been around dogs all my life my family has typically rescued dogs as opposed to raising a puppy. After losing both of our dogs in the past three years (aged 16 and 17) our family has had an empty void as Im sure most can relate to. In the last week I purchased a Black Lab and am looking forward to building a bond with him and him with our family.

This is my first time raising a pup and I expect a lot of hours to be involved undoubtely and while I have the ethic to raise him I consider myself lacking a lot of knowledge on what to do most times. I've been scouring the forums for advice and decided to finally sign up. Looking forward to taking in all and any advice people may have as well as provide any I learn over the course of the pups life!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

What did you name your puppy?

We named him Paul. He's been pretty great aside from the obvious puppy things like biting and chewing haha.

He's just over 9 weeks old and have managed to already have him be able to sit (for the most part) and while not potty trained Im sure I've got a good schedule in place to the point where he hasnt had any accidents in the last three days.

Hates his leash and always becomes the "tree" when Im walking, not entirely sure how to make it better without pulling to hard. I typically just him a small morsel of his dog food when he does good. Of course the nipping of biting when he gets excited but Im sure thats all apart of the process!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sanderling is offline Junior Member

Hi and welcome! That your other pups lived 16 and 17 years is amazing! My pups have all hated their collars and leashes at first as well. When you're inside, you could see if letting him wear his collar and drag the lead behind him for a while helps him to get used to the feel of having it on. You can also try carrying a toy he seems to like to tempt him forward. No doubt soon he'll be dragging you along!

Meeps83 is offline Junior Member

Wow, 16 and 17 years! Have fun with your pup!

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Hi, so sorry to hear of your loss. 16 and 17 years is a long time, and those losses do hurt. My Jake was 14 plus years when we had to say goodbye. Miss him terribly.

Paul sounds like fun! First time with raising a pup, lots of work involved, but definitely worth it as they do turn into wonderful adults. Have you considered puppy classes with Paul? Definitely a good time for both you and your pup. Paul gets to meet other pups and people, and you get to meet other people who enjoy their dogs.

KAZ

Thanks everyone. Both our previous dogs lived a long and fulfilled life and living that long was truly amazing. Just goes to show daily exercise I guess can really help ones (dog and human) healthy I suppose.

Was tough on the family, my parents especially. I've been training the lil pup the last week and a half in hopes of having him somewhat ready to surprise my dad on the upcoming fathers day.

I've attached the little (for now) guy. Hes got some big feet on him so Im looking forward to seeing the size he grows into.

20140515_082853.jpg

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Wow, a absolutely lovely Fathers Day gift of this little guy. Adorable! Definitely will liven up the house for both your parents. So hoping you can get this sweet pup ready for that special day for your Father.

KAZ

Phatpaul is offline Junior Member

Congrats on the new puppy. I am still waiting to pick up mine. I have about a week and a half. I am super excited. He is a black Lab as well, named Radar. Weird my name is Paul.. Haha. Anyways, you and I are in the same predicament. I am looking forward to the hard work of training my first pup. I have been around dogs all my life but like you they were all rescues.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatpaul View Post
    Congrats on the new puppy. I am still waiting to pick up mine. I have about a week and a half. I am super excited. He is a black Lab as well, named Radar. Weird my name is Paul.. Haha. Anyways, you and I are in the same predicament. I am looking forward to the hard work of training my first pup. I have been around dogs all my life but like you they were all rescues.
    haha Yeah it is a strange name, it seems to suit him as most people have liked it. Our family has a strange tradition with naming dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast