Walking Problems: Gentle Leader vs. Easy Walker Harness

Thread: Walking Problems: Gentle Leader vs. Easy Walker Harness

CCDogMom is offline Junior Member

DefaultWalking Problems: Gentle Leader vs. Easy Walker Harness

Walking our 13 week old puppy is a real challenge! With a standard collar, she just pulled and pulled. We tried a Gentle Leader, but she pouts when it is on her, she rubs her muzzle, and refuses to walk. We will try an Easy Walker harness next. Do you have any experience with all of this? At what age should all of this walking trouble end? We'd like to be able to take her places but hesitate to do so until we get her under control with a leash. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

Not picking on you-- by no means...
    WOW ,,,you are asking a lot from your puppy @ 13 weeks
    It may take months ..that your pup walks well
    I do not even know you could use a Gentle Leader on a pup 13 weeks old.

The best thing I ever did was to take Moses to puppy school .do you plan to take your pup to class..it might help with some of your questions and walking your pup
    Last edited by Jimbo B; 05-11-2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Spelling

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

collars just give you control, NONE of these tools will train the puppy. have you looked into puppy classes?

she's also a baby who I hope is fully vaccinated before you did most walking outside the property. be patient. train her what you want her to do (not by pulling or correcting, show her what you want, let her know when she is doing it right not just wrong)

There is no age when this end. They learn to walk on leash with training and practice. without the training they are likely to pull their entire life.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

I can't edit but there is some info here: Ten Important Skills To Teach Your Puppy | Dog Star Daily

CCDogMom is offline Junior Member

Thank you Jimbo B for your input. I've read about how time-critical proper socialization is for puppies. I don't want to run out of time during this critical period to introduce her to as many people, places and things as possible. So far, she spends her time in our house, back yard, and very brief "walks" for a very short distance down the street. She attends Puppy Kindergarten once a week that is taught by a wonderful trainer who uses positive training methods. However, she is the youngest and most rambunctious student in the class. The most she seems to get from the class is some very high spirited interaction with people and rough-and-tumble play with some dogs. This walking problem is just one more example of her extremely high energy behavior. Yes, I know that it is a hallmark of Labs, but I want to make sure that I'm on the right track with timely training and appropriate progress with her behavior.