Lab Puppy Weight Problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab Puppy Weight Problem

btadler is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab Puppy Weight Problem

Hello I am new to the forum and know this should probably go in a different thread but the site wont let me post anywhere else. I have a puppy that I acquired through bad circumstances who is 6 months old currently. He is only 35 pounds at this age. The bad circumstances I spoke of involved us rescuing our puppy from a guy who had purchased him from a reputable breeder without approving the dog with his landlord. After finding out his landlord would not allow the dog in the house he proceeded to crate the dog in the garage during the coldest spell Wisconsin has seen. Some nights it got down to -30 F. We rescued the dog at 3 months old and I am worried that the month he spend fighting for his life drained his growth energy and so he is permanently stunted. I am wondering if anyone has any input on this and whether our dog will be able to recover from this tragedy. He is a beautiful dog with a great pedigree and we were hoping to show him but at this stage it is looking like he may not meet breed standard. Has anyone ever heard of a dog recovering after something traumatic like this? Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

You should contact his breeder.

sandnukka15 is offline Junior Member

Wow good luck. Such a cruel person to leave an animal in the cold like that..... He should of rehomed him asap

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

My guess is that it's not purebred.

I contacted the breeder when I got him to let them know about the transition. Let them know his size at the time which was small and the situation. What other reasons would I have for contacting them again? I also have the AKC pedigree's from both his parents so I know he is purebred and AKC registered.

Archie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by btadler View Post
    I contacted the breeder when I got him to let them know about the transition. Let them know his size at the time which was small and the situation. What other reasons would I have for contacting them again? I also have the AKC pedigree's from both his parents so I know he is purebred and AKC registered.
    Because a truly reputable breeder would probably want the dog back. It's usually part of the contract that the buyer signs - return the pup to breeder if the buyer can no longer care for it.

Did the breeder want the dog back? Or to provide further input on the pup's health/care?

She would have taken the pup back if she had not found us acceptable owners but we met and talked for almost two hours in regards to the dog. I don't think that the breeder is in anyway unqualified.

She would have taken the pup back if she had not found us acceptable owners but we met and talked for almost two hours in regards to the dog. I don't think that the breeder is in anyway unqualified. Piddle Creek Kennels is the name of the breeder if you want to check them out

nicole is offline Senior Member

Looking at the website, the puppy is field bred. It's going to be lighter framed and not something you'd show. Doesn't mean it won't be a great pet though

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

Mix 3 parts LOVE with 1 part DISCIPLINE.
    Never met a Rescue Dog I did not like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast