Biting, Rambunctious Play and Walking Issues

Thread: Biting, Rambunctious Play and Walking Issues

CCDogMom is offline Junior Member

DefaultBiting, Rambunctious Play and Walking Issues

Our 10 wk. old chocolate lab has 3 annoying habits: biting when she's excited or hungry, rambunctious play especially in morning and evening (running around uncontrollably, chasing her toys, etc.), and biting and pulling on leash making walking very difficult. She's so squirmy that she won't sit still when we try to hold her in our laps. She's in puppy kindergarten, but does this sound familiar to any one else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

welcome.

remember she is a baby. these are all typical puppy things. make sure sbe gets lots of free play during the day (off leash rubning around with the family). puppies sometime get riled up when they are tired so sometimes they need forced naps before they go nuts.

are they not talking about these things in puppy classes?

for walks, she is still young and probably no filly immunised so make sure
    they are short and in safer areas.. you can use a metal/chain leash for now to help reduce the biting.

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

I agree with Dyfo

Puppies bite the hell out of you..
    All you described normal activities for puppies
    Be worried if it still going on @ 6 months

Do you have Kongs for your puppy..?
    Any elk or deer anthers
    Any nylo bones ..?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CCDogMom is offline Junior Member

My puppy has LOTS of chew toys (3 Kongs (some of which I stuff), a chew toy that looks like 3 keys on a ring which is her favorite, tennis balls, other balls, etc.). Thanks for your input. This is my first dog, and I just need to be patient and consistent with training. She's the youngest puppy at puppy kindergarten and has a difficult time with being able to focus. She just wants to play with the other dogs. She amazed me by her rather rough-and-tumble play she enjoyed with a large Great Dane puppy and an American bulldog puppy! Despite the size difference, she can hold her own!

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

She sounds like a normal lab
    I think everyone should do puppy class when they get a new pup

Katbefishing is offline Junior Member

We went through the same thing. Buster is now 6 months old and just starting to settle down. He still has some mouthing issues but we are working through them. Lots of chew toys I agree with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TheDoggyGuru is offline Junior Member

The biting issue is pretty normal with dogs. Even human babies want to tick things into their mouths and chew on them. The problem is consistent training. Any correction you make has to stick. By this I mean if you are petting her and she starts biting/chewing, and you tell her to stop, she has to stop. Do not keep petting her. Its a simple little gesture to stop petting her, but it is letting her know this is not behavior which will get her affection. Also, if she goes for, lets say a shoe or sock, and you correct her, make sure the sock or shoe is out of her mouth and that she doesn't go back for it. Again, any correction has to stick consistently. While on this subject, be careful giving her toys and what not that resemble your own stuff. If she chews on a shoe specifically reserved for her, she won't really know that it is wrong to chew on OTHER toys.
    One of the main problems with walking is the whole dog walking the person thing. It does make it difficult, specially when she gets bigger. Make sure while walking to keep her on a short leash, right next to you. It is easier to correct her if you feel her pulling right away. If you give her the entire leash length of momentum, she is going to pull you off your feet. Lol. Also, make sure when you walk her, that you have somewhere to go. By this I mean don't walk with your energy focused down on her. Of course you want to be mindful of her so you don't step on her, but make sure your energy is focused on some destination up a head. The blue house at the end of the block. The toyota three cars down. That big tree. Walk TO your destination. If you have somewhere to go, she will follow. Of course you do not want to just go and drag her along if she resists. But if she does, stop, get her focused and walk again. Give her a reason to "migrate" and she'll follow you. For long walks, make sure you stop every five to ten minutes and direct her to the bushes for a potty break. Otherwise, get her focused on the journey. She will be exhausted when she gets home and will sleep the day away. A tired dog is a fulfilled/happy/good dog.

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

We slow feed our pup in the morning with a DIY slow feeder. This takes the morning steam out of her as it's somewhat a challenge which wipes out dogs.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...ow-feeder.html

Ruby chewed though 4 leashes and bit the leash on walks too. - we got a small 4' stainless steel chain leash at the pet store, This took care of the biting during walks right away.

They also need to be wiped out to lay still or sleep instead of spazing out
    When the weather is real bad and we can't aggressively run her off leash, 30 minutes on a treadmill wipes her out for an evening.
    Otherwise we do an hour off leash in the forest every other day.

We trained her to use the treadmill with food as a lab will run though walls for food.

Ruby Rides...

http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=kHBj52nu9OU

Lastly get a wire crate for timeout.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.