New Lab Owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lab Owner

loxiegrl is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Lab Owner

My name is Loxiegrl and I've just recently rescued to Labradors, number one Dozer, chocolate, and 9 months old and ACTIVE...number two Abbey, chocolate silver, 6 years old and a nervous wreck but, making extreme progress with our family, with the exception of Dozer. Shows extreme signs of Aggression. I REALLY want this to work for all of us. I was going to muzzle her this weekend and let the two of them out onto our property. I was told, VERY BAD IDEA...any suggestions on how we can overcome this road block. Ok, so in my anxiousness to resolve this issue...that was my intro...sorry. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

hi, welcome and did you rescue them at the same time?

sounds like dozer needs some training. who is he aggressive to, and under what circumstances (food, people, dogs)

We rescued Dozer about three wks ago he's the youngest and Abbey just one week ago she's the aggresive one. We took them outside last evening and tried to walk them close and insight of one another. Dozer the puppy wants to get to her to play. When told to sit and stay he does so. Yet, at one point Abbey tried to get around me to attack him. She's 6 yrs. I kept my calm told her no and made her sit and look at me to distract her. She responded to my commands and sat and waited for me to continue our walk. She's a love with us and our granddchildren. Just not other dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

you need to find a trainer/behaviourist to come and assess and give you a plan ASAP to try and make this work. this is too serious for internet advice.

We normally recommend people wait six month before adding another dog to the house.

We have a gentleman in our area that trains large breed dogs. He's been out of the area do to his demand. Upon returning, I hope he'll return my call asap. We had a Pitbull for 13 years and we were not able to have another dog in our home once our Corgi of 16 yrs passed away. She was his buddy. Now he passed away and I guess the realization of being able to rescue once again caused my excitement. I truly understand waiting six months would have been a more responsible thing to do. Abbeys circumstances brought her to us in one days time....We will have this worked out. Thank you for your responses.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

please do your research when choosimg a trainer and look for qualifications. just because someone has had lots of dogs and helped others does not mean they are your best bet. dog agression is not like basic obedience.

make sure they dont use only negative techniques. should be prinarily positive assiciation based.

Thanks Dryfo. I know this is going to be a work in progress. I will take everything into consideration. I want NO injuries to either dogs. I will be certain to check into his credentials and qualifications in respect to my needs and my pets needs. Thank you again

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Did the recuse centre you got abbey from know you had only recently rescued a pup? If so I'm surprised they allowed the adoption to proceed, did you get a past history at all? I hope all works out for you.

Dave in Texas is offline Junior Member

That is very, very kind of you.

Welcome

Well, thanks to everyone for their input. My husband handled it PERFECTLY and they are now best friends....AMAZING...He was home alone and decided to open the kennels and let them explore one another. He is now, the pup and she is the alpha female. It's WONDERFUL that I don't have to get up kennel one let the other out, and repeat...THANKS ALL...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast