Why does everyone think my Lab isn't a Lab?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does everyone think my Lab isn't a Lab?

Ega
    Ega is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhy does everyone think my Lab isn't a Lab?

I have a beautiful (almost 1yo) Chocolate Lab and often people try to tell me she looks like she has Pointer in her or something else. It didn't bother me at first but some people get a little rude about it.

I don't have any papers for her, but to me she is all lab. Especially after googleing images of Choc labs, and really especially after googleing pointer cross lab images.

Anyone else have this same problem?

Thanks,

Al

Matey.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilika is offline Member

Looks all Lab to me.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

A lot of folks have no idea what a real lab should look like. But withtout papers, you can't 100% sure either....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CallieAndKing is offline Member

We have an 11 month "pick of the litter" male. This weekend on a camping trip a woman walked up and asked if he was a "full lab"; when told yes he is, she said he looked like a Bull Mastiff to her. Some people are just ignorant AND it doesn't help that the shelters call any dog with black markings a "Lab Mix".

Our Yellow Baby Girl "Dream A Little Dream" born December 16 2014
    Our Chocolate Girl "Kona of the Storm" born August 8 2014
    Our Black Boy "Angus Demetrius" born April 26 2013
    Our Yellow Girl "Calliope" born January 6, 2006
    Our TriPawd "King" - Shelter Rescue born late fall 2004

Ega
    Ega is offline Junior Member

Thankyou Lab people! Nice to have people that know, back me up. I'll tell Matey - she'll be stoked

Al.

Certainly looks like a choc Lab. I've had people constantly ask me what type of dog my Hanna is. She's a purebred yellow Lab though a little on the smaller side. She has even been mistaken for a Pit Bull, that's how ashamed I am of people's stupidity in my area. I just shake my head.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

CallieAndKing is offline Member

Again, I say the shelters should get partial blame for this. Take a few minutes and go to an online website for one and see how many dogs are listed as "Lab Mix" simply because they have a color associated with a lab. Our Tripawd King was a shelter dog adopted first by our daughter in 2004. She came home with him and said "he's a Lab Mix, Mom". I said " No, he is not; they've said that to a) make people think it will have a Lab's nature and b) he has a mostly black coat so they've just said "Lab Mix". The puppy had absolutely not one feature of a Lab and as an adult, he still has not one feature of a lab.

This weekend, I met a couple with a dog they also called a "lab mix". They'd adopted her at 3 months and she is now 8 months. The dog is obviously a Husky and Shepherd mix with a little bit of golden/red to her coat. Again, there is nothing resembling a lab in the dog at all beautiful as she is.

But, having said all of that, Bench labs today are much different than the English Labs my parents bred when I was growing up. They are shorter, broader and their faces are different due to the breadth and depth of the nose. Field Labs are also different than they were back in the day when we called them "American"; they are much taller and many of them don't have the "block" head. The vast difference in the looks of a "bench" vs "field" lab today also contributes to people's confusion when they see a pure bred Lab.

Our Yellow Baby Girl "Dream A Little Dream" born December 16 2014
    Our Chocolate Girl "Kona of the Storm" born August 8 2014
    Our Black Boy "Angus Demetrius" born April 26 2013
    Our Yellow Girl "Calliope" born January 6, 2006
    Our TriPawd "King" - Shelter Rescue born late fall 2004

Dave in Texas is offline Junior Member

That's one good looking chocolate Lab!

Jibtrim is offline Junior Member

Looks all lab to me!! Our new puppy is an English black lab. People at the vet's waiting room asked what he was. Most people are used to the leaner American Lab. English have a blockier head and are a bit shorter and stockier.

Next time someone asks, just say "Oh bless your heart, she's a Labrador retriever."

Coopsti99 is offline Junior Member

People often say the same thing about my lab. Most people don't know that there are English labs, American labs, and Chesapeake Bay lab retrievers. My chocolate is a Chesapeake Bay lab, they have very distinctive characteristics. I can't tell by the picture you posted of your pup, but are his eyes an amber/yellow color? They're also usually a lighter reddish/brown instead of the deep chocolate brown. Just a thought! People think my dog has pit bull in him or pointer but he does have papers and is a lab.
    Cooper & Ang

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast