Gassy belly

Thread: Gassy belly

Jessegan87 is offline Junior Member

DefaultGassy belly

Hi all, does anyone have a lab who gets periodic gas? I'm not talking farting and stinking up the place. I'm talking a rumbling, bubbly sound coming from his belly and I believe he is in discomfort. We keep gas tablets on hand for when this happens because he usually won't eat when this is going on. Any idea what causes this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

how old is your dog and what are you feeding?
    is there an exercise routine-not near feeding time?
    poops ok?

He's a year old. He hasn't gotten much exercise since we live in NY, don't have a fenced in yard and haven't been able to get him to the dog park, but he had this occasional gas bubbling when it was still warm out. His poop is fine, but it wasn't always. He's been on probably 6 different foods and we finally found one that doesn't give him constant diarrhea. Currently. He's on Purina Proplan for sensitive stomachs. It's salmon based. We think he has a chicken allergy because all the other foods he was on gave him GI upset.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

living in the city(do you live in manhattan?) can be a challenge but long walks work.
    i'd make sure to not exercise him for at least 30 minutes after eating, longer if you can wait. and i don't ruff house before eating either, just because i think they may still be wound up, and barf.

6 different foods in a year, is a lot but if you find you are happy with the pro plan, and it agrees with him, i wouldn't stress. often times dogs can have loose stool, if they are fed too much. sometimes, just cutting back 1/4 of a cup makes a difference.
    reading the ingredients in the bag of kibble is important because many foods, while not chicken as the main protein , use chicken fat or chicken carcass in the mix.

as you can tell, been there and done that.

Nope, we are about an hour outside of Manhattan. It's been cold, so it's not really doable for us or him to have him outside for any length of time when it's 5 degrees lol poor guy hold his paws up to warm them after about 2 mins outside. Problem is, he's usually crazy around feeding time because it's only about an hour after we get home and he's bonkers from being in his kennel all day. I'm not too concerned because it doesn't happen that often. I'm just curious what causes it.

wrightstuf is offline Junior Member

Do you have wood, linoleum, or tile floors? What i did for good indoor excersize was to take a throwaway plastic jug or bottle big enough that your dog has a hard time grabbing it with his mouth. Poke a few holes in it and put some kibble inside so it rattles around and the smell of the kibble comes thru the holes. Make sure its sealed. Your dog will go crazy chasing it around the room as he pushes it trying to grab it. you can crush it somewhat so he can occasinally grab it so he doesnt get frustrated. Great fun and great indoor exersize!