New Visitor But Not A Happy One

Thread: New Visitor But Not A Happy One

rmmagow is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Visitor But Not A Happy One

First time here. My old guy is about 12 years old and not doing so great. Mostly I'm here to talk about him, his health and possible prognosis. Hoping to bring him to the vet in a couple of days. He's a pure-bred yellow Lab, got him as a newly weaned puppy for my son. I know they get old but, I want him to be as well as possible for the last few months or so that he'll be with us.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rmmagow is offline Junior Member

Hmmm, guess I have to post a bitmore here tp be able to post elsewhere.
    So, wrong place but....... My old guy has a pretty giant growth of some sort right at his groin. It grew pretty quick and pretty big. He wasn't always living with us as my son had him for a while but my son said the thing grew big quickly. I can't say if it bothers the dog much, he doesn't pay attention to it or favor it. The question, getting it removed. My dog's 12 years old, got the bad hips but can still get around. He seems happy and more or less alert and still will jump off a cliff for a piece of bread so, I don't know, I think he's sort of still OK. Mainly I am concerned with how is a lumpectomy done and can he survive surgery or is there an argument to be made to essentially leave it alone at this stage. I just don't know what to do and not to be crass, but money is tight too. Thanks for some advice and understanding. I love my old dog.

StephandMatt is offline Junior Member

I have a friend who has two old dogs, one 10 and one 12.5. The older one is getting a little stiff and has a tumor, but my friend decided not to get a surgery done because she is worried the dog won't survive the stress of the surgery and anesthesia. I think that if the growth doesn't seem to be affecting your dog, I would leave it alone. He has lived such a long and full life as it is, so my thoughts are that if having the growth removed won't improve his quality of life, I wouldn't put him under that kind of stress. Just my opinion though! I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

he needs a senior blood panel, and vet consult. some 12 yr olds can tolerate surgery. some can't. depends what it is, as well.
    i surely would be at a vet for this answer.

marlin is offline Junior Member

Discuss with your vet all the viable options and be upfront and honest about your tight budget, he may have a way of lowering the bill for you.
    All the best.

boygeorge is offline Member

Hope your older dog would have more happy moments and life with you. Sincere discussion with your vet would greatly help keeping things for him.
    "Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." ~Sue Murphy