Just got a 16 week lab(looking for advice)

Thread: Just got a 16 week lab(looking for advice)

niles08 is offline Junior Member

DefaultJust got a 16 week lab(looking for advice)

Hello,

My wife & i just purchased a 16 week yellow lab to join our household and are very excited to have him. We have 2 other dogs, one a smaller lab mix and one a westie/schnauzer who are both fixed. We introduced them yesterday and the lab, who we named Niko, is just wanting to mount the westie while the lab mix wants nothing to do with him and is very intimidating towards him. Our dogs normally sleep by our bed in our room at night and we let the new lab sleep on the other side last night, and all seemed to go well. Does anybody have any training tips, advice on getting the old dogs familiar with the new pup, sleeping tips? Looking forward to being a very active member of this forum.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I have no advice. Just wanted to say welcome

Thank you. lol. The dogs seem to be getting along better today. the little one is still being mounted but the older dog is starting to hate the new one a little less. Still unsure of the sleeping arrangements though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You should be redirecting the puppy off of your small dog. The mounting behavior should be discouraged.

I'd crate train the puppy, but that does not seem to be of importance to you. Most of the time, dogs work out a relationship with a newly introduced dog or puppy on their own without much human help.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Give them time. When we brought Maxx home Emma wanted nothing to do with him and walked on the back of the furniture to stay away from him. By the time the 1st week was over Emma would get upset if Maxx went outside without her. I do agree with Sharon, you should be correcting the mounting behavior. Welcome to the world of Labs, it is a wonderful way of life!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

citronella is offline Senior Member

Welcome and good luck with your new pup. They will eventually get along. I would crate train the puppy just so everyone can relax at night and not worry where the puppy went or is doing. Helps for the future as well in case you ever have to board them.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Well it's day 3 now with the lab puppy. He has began to stop mounting the smaller dog as we introduced a squirt bottle to them all as a corrective method. In the three days since we have had him he already has learned to sit, and lay down. We are working on staying but that will be a work in progress. Last night they once again laid on opposite sides of the bed on their pet beds on the floor, and we went to bed realitively early as we were all worn out, so after going to bed at 8:30, the pup began to wine at midnight, so we let him out and he urinated right away which was great, and once again at 4 AM. He has really began to enjoy being at our house, and seems to be slowly being accepted by the older dog as well.