Found a stray lab and trying to calm him.

Thread: Found a stray lab and trying to calm him.

michaelbot is offline Junior Member

DefaultFound a stray lab and trying to calm him.

I think I found a neutered adult male labrador (mix?) a few days ago. He has a tuxedo coat and is 25 about inches tall. I've been working on making friends with him, but it is slow going because he seems very paranoid. He doesn't seem to want petting but is very playful. Once in a while he lets you pet him. He loves to jump around and attack a tennis ball. He fetches but then keeps/hides stuff! When he's tired out, he likes to be around me just out of arm's length. He's really jumpy at sudden noises or if I come toward him.

I put up signs at the vet and on fidofinder, but I'm told he's a big, intimidating-looking dog and was probably deliberately abandoned. He is a lot of dog but shows no signs of aggression; he plays rough, though.

He had a short leash hanging from his collar when he strayed into my yard. I took it off and now he won't
    let me put it back on! He jumps away when I try, but then comes back in about 20 seconds. I'd like to be able to take him places. I think it's becoming a game. How can I get him to calm down?

I've been giving him dog treats, but now that he isn't starving, he's getting picky and they aren't such a big motivator. I think garbage picking has given him a taste for TV dinners and toasted bread: he almost jumped on the table when I ate a bagel in front of him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He should be checked for a microchip. If you can catch him and get him to a vet they can check. You should also notify area shelters and police in your town and surrounding towns. There could very well be someone missing him.

Don't let an assumption that he is big and intimidating and deliberately abandoned keep him from getting home. He looks like he's been well cared for.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

michaelbot is offline Junior Member

Making progress! He let me put the tether on and I led him for a short walk around the yard. I think he was actually calmer with the leash on, than just wandering. Maybe I can get him into the car and to the vet to check for a chip in the next few days. He has no ID tag.

I was not even sure about his breed, which is why I'm asking on this forum. So he is definitely a Labrador? I just read the wikipedia article on labs and it really sounds like him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

From the picture you posted, he could be a mix of a number of breeds including Lab or pointer or Dalmation or any flop earred breed. He looks quite long and narrow.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

He is a handsome guy. I hope if he is lost you are ables to find his family and if not you are able to give him a good home. Thank you for taking him in and doing your best to do the right thing.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

I hope you can help him find his home or a new one. He doesn't look intimidating to me.