Hey! New to this and Wondering About My Lab Mix

Thread: Hey! New to this and Wondering About My Lab Mix

E.Barrera530 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHey! New to this and Wondering About My Lab Mix

Hey, my name is Emma; I'm from New York City. I have two dogs, both are mixed breeds. The first is a female, her name is Sassy and she is a mix of Boxer and Shepherd. She is about 7.5 years old and is known as the princess. Then I have my baby, his name is Denver and from what I've been told from the shelter that we adopted him from is that he is a mix of Labrador and Terrier. He is about 15 months old and I am not sure what type of mix he is. So if anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sassy had the tan coat and Denver is the black coat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Looks like a Lab/Pit mix to me. They are both cute!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks for the reply! Your lab looks adorable in the picture. I was also wondering if you knew by any chance what type of Pit he may be?
    I am very curious about him, since his behavior around people and other dogs are unusual. Denver is very close to my older dog Sassy; he is always trailing along after her and acting as soldier on patrol whenever she is relaxing. He has tons of energy, is clumsy all the time, agile, and kind. However, it seems like he fears to come close to other people. He often runs away from my relatives in my home and is always on the lookout. My family and I had adopted Denver when he was about 4 months old, he was already neutered. However, he was extremely quite and calm in his cage, when the surrounding pups where making a fuss and barking. My family and I thought he would be perfect as a friend for Sassy, since she is aging and is not a very hyper dog. Many friends and family suspect that he must have been abused since he does not approach other people, except for me. He is a very lovable dog, however, it is extremely hard to introduce him to people who come over and he often has his tail between his legs when there are bigger dogs around.
    I am sure that his mix does not have anything to do with his behavior, but like I said, I am extremely curious. Thanks again!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

He is very handsome maybe some pit in him without papers though you could not know what kind of pit he is.

Thanks for comment! In his papers, he is marked as a Lab/Terrier mix, and he was part of a rescue group from the South around August. The shelter that we got him from is not really sure of his official breeding.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by E.Barrera530 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Your lab looks adorable in the picture. I was also wondering if you knew by any chance what type of Pit he may be?
    I am very curious about him, since his behavior around people and other dogs are unusual. Denver is very close to my older dog Sassy; he is always trailing along after her and acting as soldier on patrol whenever she is relaxing. He has tons of energy, is clumsy all the time, agile, and kind. However, it seems like he fears to come close to other people. He often runs away from my relatives in my home and is always on the lookout. My family and I had adopted Denver when he was about 4 months old, he was already neutered. However, he was extremely quite and calm in his cage, when the surrounding pups where making a fuss and barking. My family and I thought he would be perfect as a friend for Sassy, since she is aging and is not a very hyper dog. Many friends and family suspect that he must have been abused since he does not approach other people, except for me. He is a very lovable dog, however, it is extremely hard to introduce him to people who come over and he often has his tail between his legs when there are bigger dogs around.
    I am sure that his mix does not have anything to do with his behavior, but like I said, I am extremely curious. Thanks again!
    I would guess he is a Lab/Pit Bull Terrier mix, for the record I think PBT's are awesome dogs! I am not sure what you mean by "what kind of pit?"
    It sounds like he may have not been properly socialized to other dogs and people as a young puppy. It is not always about abuse. I have a 7 year old Lab/Border Collie mix that I have had from a very young age. She is shy and not friendly with strangers. It takes her a good while to warm up and she usually goes in the other direction. She does not like loud noises and she can be very skittish. That being said, she has never been abused. She is just a very sensitive girl. This is something you can work on to give him more confidence. I would start with a basic obedience class with him. A good trainer should be able to help you with exercises to increase his confidence after observing him for some time. (Different things work for different dogs.) We did not start this with Emma until about a year ago, it had been very slow and sometimes I could pull my hair out but I see small changes that give me great hope. I am just sad we did not try to help her the right way much earlier. Better late than never.
    It sounds like he is a good fit for your older girl, that is awesome! I am glad that you found each other.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

It must be true that he hasn't had much socialization with other dogs. He seems exactly the same as your dog, Emma (we have the same name ). My mother and I are planning to take him to the training department of the shelter we had adopted him from. The first months we had him, he was destructive with the furniture and wouldn't come near anyone. He was quite fond of wood, which I think is a coincidence since his name before we changed it was "Woody". Now, he's just trailing after our older dog, and she gets quite annoyed of him at times (we separate them when she gets too irritated), however, she tolerates him and plays whenever she has the energy. Hopefully, a trainer can help us with Denver and he would come to be more confident around people and dogs.
    I do wish to take him on walks more often, since he is always running the opposite direction when he sees a person 20 feet away. I don't take him out for walks since I don't want to put him in danger or anyone else. Thanks for the advice!