Hello Lab friends

Thread: Hello Lab friends

Sammie138 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello Lab friends

I am the proud momma of a 14 1/2 year old black lab, Sammie. I found this page today after finding some thinning hair areas around the top of her cheekbook (near where her ear touches her face). Two weeks ago Sammie went to the vet for her annual check up and vaccines, she was diagnosed with arthritis and was put on carprofen, after one week there was no improvement with slightly elevated liver enzymes I deceide that it would be better to take her off the daily dose and go holistic, any one else doing this? Sammie has hypothyriodism, and has always taken her medication without a problem until she started with the carprofen, now I find her pill hiding in various locations, even when I hand feed to her she spits it out and hides it! I started putting it in her food, but think maybe this is not such a good idea. Any ideas input would be great, as I said she went to the vet two weeks ago where she had the geriatric blood panel, showing slightly elevated liver enzymes, the vet also said that he doesn't think that Hills ZD should be used long term, after three years of prescribing it to her!! So, it sort of feels like I am starting all over, sensitive skin, allergies, but now with arthritis, vet told me her mind is going strong and is much faster than her body!
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labchris is offline Senior Member

14.5 years is a proud age, I guess! Welcome to the forum and good luck with your Sammie!
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

citronella is offline Senior Member

Welcome. Unfortunately I can't help you, maybe someone else on the forum can
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Welcome! We have a 4 year old lab who was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a couple of years ago. We put him on Wellness core (grain free) reduced fat formula and it has worked out pretty well. He seemed to be allergic to many things, but he really likes this food and it has worked out well. He doesn't have any issues with taking his pill. We either hand feed it to him or drop it in his food bowl. Also, my mom has an older lab who has joint pain and they give her liquid glucosamine and it really helps her with the pain. Good luck with your pup....

J.R. and June

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome! 14.5 is an awesome age, congrats! Is your dog in pain? If so you can try other meds for the pain. I had a bad experience with Deramax, which is a similar drug, and I will never give this kind of med again. You can ask your vet if you can try some Tramadol if she is really uncomfortable. I have no advice about the food but it looks like you got a good option to try from J.R.&JNE above. Good luck with your sweet girl.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sammie138 is offline Junior Member

Hi everyone thank you for the warm welcome! No Sammie is not in pain, she goes out the door and wants to sprint, she really is not happy with her new food she eats well however it goes right through her and the hair on her face (patch) falling out is getting bigger, I am going to try Mega Tek by Eqyss it has done wonders for the pads of her feet and I can't seem to find anything negative about Hills Science Diet ZD, really considering going back to it
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself