Hi Everyone! New to the Forums :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Everyone! New to the Forums :)

CobiHue is offline Junior Member

DefaultHi Everyone! New to the Forums :)

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on the forums. My SO and I recently purchased our first lab together (7/23/13 to be exact) and are super excited! This is his first time owning a lab that is show/breeding quality and my first time being the sole owner of one. We have both owned many labs and lab mixes in the past though and both absolutely love the breed!! We are located in the Pacific NW (Particularly the Oregon area) and I am currently attending school to become a Nurse in Neonatal Intensive Care Looking forward to getting to know everyone!!!

This is Phoenix. She will be our "new beginning" that will be rising out of the ashes of all of the loss and pain we have encountered over the past year. I am unsure on what her registered name will be, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I am wanting it to include the name Phoenix though and possibly have something to do with a new beginning or rising above

IMG_9897.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

What a sweet looking puppy. I love her name. Welcome. I think you'll find lots of advice and support here. This forum is made up of many wonderful and knowedgable people

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Reputable breeders generally want their kennel name in the registered name. What is the kennel name and maybe you could incorporate one or both of the parents names in the registered name. Phoenix is a great call name.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Phoenix is adorable and I love the name.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome, what a cute girl Phoenix is and I love her name!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

banshee is offline Senior Member

Hi! I'm kind of new here too. Your Phoenix is gorgeous. May you have many good times together!
    As for names, for my first lab I made up a name that came from both of her parent's registered names. Babe's dam was Madame Misty Van Orden and her sire was Knuckle Head (but Babe did have a sort of "knuckle head" if you felt her skull as an adult). I came up with "Mademoiselle Brass Knuckles Babe." Cooper's name is "Highlands Dancing in the Sand". Highlands was the kennel name for the sires's (?) side, and the dam's(?) side ancestors had a lot of "beachy" names. But I don't show any dogs, so it's academic.
    Last edited by banshee; 07-24-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Yes! That's what I was trying to say earlier. The breeder kennel name was Highlands. The breeder told me that I should first put the name Highlands and then the name we picked out when we registered the puppy with AKC. So we did.
    Last edited by banshee; 07-24-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Lol, dogmom, I just wrote a long post saying what you had already said better than I.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Welcome ot the board and congrats on your new pup.

Ask the breed if they require that you use the kennel name to register the pup with the AKC. Most breeders do, which may help (or complicated) your name choice

Quote Originally Posted by CobiHue View Post
    Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on the forums. My SO and I recently purchased our first lab together (7/23/13 to be exact) and are super excited! This is his first time owning a lab that is show/breeding quality
    Do you mean a dog from show quality parents (i.e. parents who are titled in conformation?) or was the pup sold as show quality? Not all pups in a litter end up being "show quality" (maybe 1-2 if breeder is lucky) but all the puppies are likely to be terrific if parents had all teh clearances and good temperments. Breeders generally evaluate the litter once or twice then place the ones that are potentially (because you can't predicut the future) show quality pups in show homes and the others in pet homes.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

CobiHue is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    What a sweet looking puppy. I love her name. Welcome. I think you'll find lots of advice and support here. This forum is made up of many wonderful and knowedgable people
    Thank you!! I am so glad that I found such a wonderful group of people as is on this forum! Looking forward to learning more as my Phoenix grows!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Welcome ot the board and congrats on your new pup.

Ask the breed if they require that you use the kennel name to register the pup with the AKC. Most breeders do, which may help (or complicated) your name choice

Do you mean a dog from show quality parents (i.e. parents who are titled in conformation?) or was the pup sold as show quality? Not all pups in a litter end up being "show quality" (maybe 1-2 if breeder is lucky) but all the puppies are likely to be terrific if parents had all teh clearances and good temperments. Breeders generally evaluate the litter once or twice then place the ones that are potentially (because you can't predicut the future) show quality pups in show homes and the others in pet homes.
    When talking to the breeder she said that she does not require her kennel name to be in the pup's registered name. I think her kennel/breeder name is Parkdale (that is what is in most of her dog's names- she has bred for a few generations to produce the very best and I was VERY pleased when I met both mom dad and grandma- who is retired after two litters), but I am hoping to not have to include that. If I did have to, I might just name her Parkdale's Phoenix Rising.

Phoenix was sold to us as a potentially show quality puppy. She was the only female out of the litter to be sold as and to have full registration vs limited. Both parents have titles and certificates and amazing temperaments. I am very pleased with her and told her so!

Phoenix's mom's name is Shady Drake's Cinnamon (The only dog in her bunch to not have the name Parkdale in it) with her sire being Karamanos Duck Dog. I don't know much about pedigrees or anything like that, but at least three generations back on both sides have passed hips/eyes/elbows/hearts etc. Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast