Starting all over again with our 3rd lab pup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting all over again with our 3rd lab pup

arlinevg is offline Member

WinkStarting all over again with our 3rd lab pup

Hi fellow lab lovers!

Haven't been on here in a while, but have good reason to nowadays as we just got a new member of our family last Friday. He's "Odie", a black male lab who will be 9 weeks tomorrow. He's just terrific and he'll be perfect once he's housebroken and able to sleep through the night. I know he'll get there in time. Any tips on easing our 9 yr old yellow female lab into accepting her new little "brother"? She did great when we brought Boomer into our family, but that was almost 6 years ago and she was that much younger and that much more tolerant of a puppy with razor sharp puppy fangs! Sadly, Boomer has passed away and now she has to start all over again. Bailey, our girl, has been a little overwhelmed with the puppy energy and has tried to escape from Odie as he ran all over and between her legs excitedly. She gives him a warning growl for this "misbehavior" and runs away from him. We are confining Odie to the kitchen area and Bailey is watching him from a far, but doesn't seem all that interested in interacting with him. We've made a point of giving her lots of attention and keeping her schedule as it was before Odie arrived. My husband hasn't spent much time with the puppy because he is Bailey's main squeeze and we thought that would help as well. Today is the 5th day of Odie's homecoming and I'm just wondering if we should have them put together more, supervised of course! I did have Bailey in the kitchen yesterday and put Odie on a leash so I could control his proximity to her and his ability to jump on her and she tolerated that for a little while, but still largely ignored him. Any tips and pearls with regard to this situation would b most welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I would must continue as you are. It is similar to Emma's reaction when we brought Maxx home and they worked it out. She was only 5 at the time though. Emma was not impressed with Maxx in the beginning and really wanted nothing to do with him. They are best of friends now but it worried me the first week or so!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Puppies can be a real pain in the neck to older dogs. I am glad you keep them separated. Just remember, Bailey has seniority.Let her set the ground rules with the new puppy. Leasing is a good idea, keep it up.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultThanks for the feedback

Glad to know you agree with my strategy, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. Sometimes I forget that they are not the same species as we are and I ascribe human emotions and reactions to my beloved pets, when it's not always appropriate. If Bailey were my child I'd be saying, "Ok, enough already, you need to show more interested in your newly adopted baby brother.", but her approach to the whole situation with Odie arriving into our "pack", is most likely perfectly normal dog behavior. I agree, puppies can be a real pain. So, I'm feeling validated by your responses to my query and can stop fretting about the situation and just let it evolve (with some oversight and most importantly patience!). Thanks again.

mandvwagner is offline Junior Member

We just got Sadie our now 10 week old pup about 4 weeks ago and our 11 year old lab Chloe was apprehensive at first but now they play together all the time. Chloe tells Sadie when she's had enough and the puppy seems to listen when Sis says she's done playing.

DefaultHow did you get Sadie started playing with your 11 yr old Chloe?

Well that's certainly encouraging news. I'm just a little hesitant to push "togetherness" too much, or too soon. On the other hand, I don't Bailey thinking she can ignore little Odie forever. Over the weekend I'll look for more opportunities to try and get them to be in the same room at least, but keep Odie on the leash so he doesn't get "crazy" nipping at her legs, etc. That's what seemed to really unsettle her and made her flee from him. He's too little yet to take them on a walk together so that's not going to happen quite yet. Not much else, I can think of to do. But please feel free to suggest away.........

nicole is offline Senior Member

Hey there! Did you get your puppy from Trudy Rose?

DefaultTalimar Labs

Nicole,
    We did indeed get Odie from Trudy Rose. Do you have a Talimar Lab as well?
    -Arline

nicole is offline Senior Member

No, I have Odies dad, Fez.....

I recognized the birthdate

Some progress, or at least I hope so! Yesterday morning, Bailey (the 9 yr old), was in the backyard and had a nice little exchange with the new pup, Odie. Bailey did her little spin thing and then did a tuck and scoot around the pool a couple of times with the pup in hot pursuit. This was a nice exchange b/c up until this time, she had largely just tried to ignore him when he would get near her, running around her and nipping at her legs, and if he had enough time before she took off, looking underneath for a place to nurse, which definitely got him a nice sized growl and the escape to the lower patio where Odie was unable to follow. We tried it again this morning, but not as much exuberance as yesterday on Bailey's part, but she didn't run away and escape as quickly as she had been previously. Odie certainly got some warning growls as he frantically ran around her legs though. We picked him up when we thought it was probably enough and because we wanted it to end on a good note.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast