Strax the Strong Tail

Thread: Strax the Strong Tail

DesertFernweh is offline Junior Member

DefaultStrax the Strong Tail

HI All,
    This is Strax, our new Three year old Black Lab, we just got him from the rescue yesterday and already he is part of the Family 100% (even the cat it "getting use" to him).

We got the name Strax from Doctor Who, as both my girlfriend and I are huge fans.
    He's Very smart, and very well trained. We are going to take him to the lake this Monday and let him get his swim on.
    my GF and I do have some concerns, one is the Heat, we live here in Phoenix, and while we are in an apartment we are taking him for walk , everymorning (9 to 10am, we works nights) and Evening, and the other is as we are walking mostly on hot concert my GF was wondering if that can damage his paws, so far he doesn't seem to mind.
    look forward to chat with you all
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Strax is a handsome guy. When it is hot I keep my 2 off the sidewalks and road and walk through the fields mostly. If you are walking in the early morning and later in the evening hopefully it is somewhat cooler. I am not sure if it can actually burn their paw pads but it makes sense that it is possible. Hopefully someone will have the correct answer to your question!"
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Strax is cute!

Yes, he can burn his paws if the concrete is too hot. We have the same problem here in FL.
    I figure if it's too hot for me to walk barefoot, then it's too hot for the dog.
    As long as you're walking before it gets too hot, or after it's cooled down, you should be ok.

Take some pictures of Strax at the lake for us!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

He's a handsome boy. Glad he's fitting in so well. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to lots of picutures and stories about you boy

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dek View Post

Yes, he can burn his paws if the concrete is too hot. We have the same problem here in FL.
    I figure if it's too hot for me to walk barefoot, then it's too hot for the dog.
    As long as you're walking before it gets too hot, or after it's cooled down, you should be ok.
    Good to know for sure! It always made sense to me they could burn their feet. I am glad I have avoided hot concrete and blacktop.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

DesertFernweh is offline Junior Member

I am making it a point to walk him in an dirt alley near the apt, the dirt is far cooler on his paws. I am also walking him more after dark, it is easier for him and I since I work nights, and who is going to mess with someone walking a 60lb dog. Even though is nothing but a big slab of luv. :-) The more i have him, the more I can't help put feel bad for the people that had to let him go, from what my GF tells me the Rescue found him at the pound so I am thinking he must of been abandon in a move, I can only think someone must of fallen of VERY hard time to get rid of such a great and loyal friend, I know I couldn't and I have only had him now for 3 days.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Welcome and you have a great looking boy there.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Welcome! See my comments on the heat in your other heat thread. I also have a black lab and I like in Dallas, so heat is nothing new here.