Howdy im new

Thread: Howdy im new

rodreagos is offline Junior Member

DefaultHowdy im new

hello everyone,

just thought id introduce myself. i have a 9 month old black lab "Bundy' and we are from country south australia. after having alot of behavioral issues we got a fabulous trainer in to give us some pointers. after 2 weeks he improved 100%. i thought it would be a good idea to teach him to catch as this is something he had not picked up. after a couple of days of training he got really good at this and i threw the ball a little too high and he jumped and landed on his leg breaking his shin bone. after a vet visit he said plate surgery was the best thing for him. so we ended up deciding to get this done even know it was costly. after the surgery he was great back to normal in no time which was great but the vet said he has to stay caged and toilet walks on a lead only for the next 5 weeks. its been almost 3 weeks so far and i think he has settled into being confined. im hoping the next 2 weeks goes okay and hes back to being the energetic puppy he was before.

has anyone got any tips on how to get him to stay next to me when hes inside and im watching the tv. he always seems to sniff every ounce of the house looking for little crumbs hes not doing anything wrong he just needs to learn if hes inside he needs to sit resonably still. he was starting to pick it up but the whole broken leg thing has just thrown it out the window.

i look forward to reading some helpful threads/posts

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Welcome. Wow, so sorry about you baby's leg. They should not be encouraged to jump while they are still growing....but that info comes too late for Bundy If you want him to stay by you in the house you can tether him with a leash hooked to your belt loop. I have to wonder at 9 months why you want him to stay next to you all the time..but that's your call. I only tethered Jack until I was sure he was 100% on potty training. He almost always is right next to Husband or me all the time anyway. He's a very velcro boy. Glad you found this forum, the people here will be glad to help you with questions and concerns

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have never had an issue keeping my 2 next to me, that is where they usually are! Maxx will nap on the floor a/c vent in the main bath but if you move he is up and on your heels. I have more trouble trying not to trip over mine. Maybe your dog is just more independent or still a busy puppy. I bet you will find that he slows down and is more "by your side" as he gets older. After all, extended crate rest must make them want to catch up, so to speak!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rodreagos is offline Junior Member

sorry i shouldve of added i was not trying to make him catch eg. a frisbee. it was only to build his mouth eye coordination skills as the trainer said it would be a good idea. started by dropping ball into mouth then taking one step back and throwing to the mouth. never incouraging jumping. i just was so happy with how he was going didnt think of the re percussions of if he did jump. ( guess we all learn). him staying by my side is more to do with him not running around the house off on his own eating things he is not allowed to more when i tell him to get on his bed he stay there for more than 4 seconds.( i know he will mellow out as he gets older). keeping him confined has really mellowed him out specially when people come around and he cant get all exicited and whatsoever. really looking forward to getting back into the training when his leg is better.

cheers for the welcome

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Try using baby gates to block off areas you don't want your puppy to go. Eventually he will stop "hunting" and settle if he can't go too far!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.