Im here and I have 2 maniacs!!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Im here and I have 2 maniacs!!!

Aushearer is offline Junior Member

DefaultIm here and I have 2 maniacs!!!

Hey all. Obviously Im new to this forum. I was part of a UK labrador forum but they made it compulsary to pay if you wanted to keep posting.

I have 2 Labs. A white boy named Geordie who turns 5 in September and a black girl named Blackdog who turns 3 in August.

And let me tell you.....these two cherubs are a 100 million miles an hour. There is no relaxation in them, there is no rest time, there is no time to chill.

These two maniacs jump up everytime my wife and I move inside the house. They sook for hours on end and everytime I go into the back yard, they are running round like crazed ADHD kids that are on a mixture of red cordial and cocaine!!

I try to walk them as much as possible where this is a struggle in itself. But I find they are on their best bahaviour when I take them to the dog park. They are social and mix with every dog and owner that is there causing no drama at all.

So effectively, I am saying Gday and also asking for help. Other than sedating them, I have no idea what to do. Especially when a new baby will be here within a week or so

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/...ps95ef358f.jpg

My two maniacs...Few years old mind

Garth is offline Registered Users

Yep they're full of trouble alright! You can see it in their faces.

I'd be enrolling them both in obedience school ASAP. Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry I couldn't help but giggle as I read this. I have been there.

I adopted a wild boy 7 years ago and he ran around as if he was on crack. He didn't stop and so many times I pleaded for him to sit down for 5 mins. No matter how many miles I walked him it never seemed to help. He needed a lot of mental and physical stimulation.

Being dragged around the streets was horrible so I decided if he pulled I would turn walk the other way until he pulled and turn again. Back and forth we went. It took 4 months before we got to the end of the street.
    We were asked to leave 3 obedience clubs. I had to be firm and constent, and kept at the training with lots of praise and treats for behaviour I wanted. I kept a diary so I could see the improvements which may be slow, but with work there will be many.

I used the crate when I couldn't watch him.

He is 11 now and slowed down. The years go by so quickly and now the days I see the old Ernie it makes me so happy because with his health and age I know we don't have that many more years with him.

Treasure all those wild memories.
    Last edited by kassabella; 06-27-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Samson is offline Senior Member

I've been on some of the UK sites ! You are better off here although we have just been taken over by a site that hosts numerous dog forums so who knows what changes are about to take place.

Up until a few years ago we were owned by private individuals with Labrador interests but slowly we have become more commercial and obviously saleable.

We are not quite as clique'y as some other sites but we have our moments !

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome! IMO you definitely need some obedience classes but it will not be better in a week. A well behaved Lab requires a lot of patience, consistency and some time. They need to be walked and trained seperately daily. You have your work cut out for you but it is definitely something that can be done. Best of luck to you!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks guys...

This kind of help is the help that I have not been receiving. I have had some basic training for my boy but that was a few years ago.

I know their bad behaviour is mainly down to my lack of discipline and time I put into them when it comes to walking and obedience.

They are well behaved when they eat, except after they both finish, where they generally have a little aggressive fight that will last a few seconds. They will not eat until instructed and our yard is big enough for us to play a little fetch. My girl will play fetch, but my boy will get a toy in his mouth and just prance around like a spoilt rich kid with the latest toy on the market.

I have to give myself a nice little uppercut and spend the time to walk the separately. That advice I have received seems the most logical at the moment, without spending excessive amounts of cash on obedience classes.

Keep the help coming guys, the more I get, the more I can improve I reckon.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

The Champdogs site is good if you need U.K. specific information.

I heartily ditto the obedience classes IN ADDITION to exercise. Separately to help each dog recognize you as the highest authority family member. Mental and physical workouts complement each other.

When you say you try to walk them as much as possible and they are good when you go to the dog park it sounds to me like these are not regular occurrences. Right? Exercise must be regular, every day. Leash walking is not nearly as good for the dogs, exercise wise, as running off leash. I believe you have much more latitude in the U.K. for off leash than we do in N. America. It's going to be harder once the baby comes to spend needed time on the dogs but oh, so much more important that you do. If you could get a pattern established pre-baby it will be easier to keep it up. Sounds like you are not the big belly partner? Sorry if that's wrong, just a vibe I think I'm getting. But if I'm right your are really going to have to step up with the dogs so best start now. Good luck. When's the wee one due?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post
    The Champdogs site is good if you need U.K. specific information.

I heartily ditto the obedience classes IN ADDITION to exercise. Separately to help each dog recognize you as the highest authority family member. Mental and physical workouts complement each other.

When you say you try to walk them as much as possible and they are good when you go to the dog park it sounds to me like these are not regular occurrences. Right? Exercise must be regular, every day. Leash walking is not nearly as good for the dogs, exercise wise, as running off leash. I believe you have much more latitude in the U.K. for off leash than we do in N. America. It's going to be harder once the baby comes to spend needed time on the dogs but oh, so much more important that you do. If you could get a pattern established pre-baby it will be easier to keep it up. Sounds like you are not the big belly partner? Sorry if that's wrong, just a vibe I think I'm getting. But if I'm right your are really going to have to step up with the dogs so best start now. Good luck. When's the wee one due?
    Guilty as charged your honour... I def need to walk them more. I do shift work and my ball and chain (wife) does long hours as a school teacher. I, in particular, go through hills and troughs where I walk them everyday for a few months, then only maybe once a week for a few weeks (dont throw anything at me).

Im in Australia, and in a suburban area. My two wilder beasts are not trust worthy enough to be let off the leash so thats a big no no. But as I said, we go to the dog park and they are very well behaved, come to me when I call them and are very good with all sorts of dogs there. And they are knackered when we are done, especially my boy. Blackdog on the other hand, she is definitely on the disco biscuits!!!

Missus is about to lay any second now... She is due early next week but we are ready to go when the little bugger is ready to come out

citronella is offline Senior Member

Welcome. What great looking dogs. All I can say is be consistent and training is the way to go. It has definitely helped Laci be more manageable.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast