Newbie!

Thread: Newbie!

dogsrbest is offline Junior Member

DefaultNewbie!

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I are happy owners of a yellow lab, Abbey, who will be 11 weeks old this Thursday! She is a birthday gift for hubby who turned 60yrs in April! So far we are loving our new bundle of joy although are a bit sleep deprived getting through house training My husband gets up faithfully at 3am each night to take her outside for a potty break and throughout the day we pretty much are confined to the kitchen taking her out every 15-20 minutes. So far she has been pretty good although there have been a few accidents but can't complain as she is still so young. One concern we do have though is her interactions with our five year old Wheaten Terrier, Grace. Abbey continually tugs on Grace's collar and nips and tugs on her fur, tail, legs. Our terrier is very submissive and doesn't seem to know or just doesn't let her know to let her be. We separate them whenever it gets too much for Grace. We have repeatedly voiced sternly to Abbey to stop, she will for about a minute or so then goes after her again.
    Yesterday we saw a bit more aggression from Abbey when she went to grab her collar (she growled a bit and kept grabbing more forcefully) We have taken our Wheaten's collar off which has helped although now Abbey goes after Grace's beard. We are hoping that this behavior is normal puppy behavior and it will get better over time but also worried that we may have an aggressive puppy. Abbey seems to like having Grace around and we are certain that it helped her adjust to our home when we brought her home. She also seems so calm and laid back otherwise. Should we keep them separated or will this make them more territorial? Has anyone else had any similar experience and/or advice?
    Thanks for any information and we are excited to have joined the forum!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Hello and welcome! It sounds like you are right on track to have a potty trained puppy real soon with the way you are supervising her. I too felt a little sleep deprived for awhile, but I'll tell you, sticking with it is so worth it. My Todd is 5 months now. He's been sleeping through the night from 10pm to 6am since he was around 3 months. He hasn't had an accident in over a month. It is such a relief!! I'm still waiting for him to take a few steps back, but so far so good. I also have a 12 year old welsh corgi and had the same concerns that you have with your wheaten. Todd really used to get out of control with my ol' man and I would intervene and seperate him. You'd be surprised how much they growl, bite at the neck, show their mean teeth etc. Its pretty scary. No one has ever gotten hurt though. Todd has seemed to come around and he is a lot more gentle with my corgi now. He still has his moments but overall, each month gets better and better. Good luck with your baby girl! Show us some pix!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Abbey.jpgThanks for your reply! I feel better knowing you had similar issues but that it does get better! We did see her mean teeth, was afraid to mention it because I was afraid we would be told
    we definitely got an aggressive dog! I think she is such a sweetie and just going through puppy teething, growing etc. Our Wheaten is such a sensitive sweet dog and just doesn't know what to make of Abbey but hopefully she will eventually let her know when she has had enough! Think I added a picture correctly (through my profile) but if it doesn't show up after I click post reply button will figure out how to add Abbey's picture eventually

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaykay is offline Senior Member

welcome... she is adorable!!!
    Kristin

jayson

laika

dogmom is offline Senior Member

I would make remove both dogs collars. Have seen too many horrible accidents with dogs getting their jaws caught on collars resulting in strangulation and or broken jaws. And it sounds like a normal busy, teething puppy. Enjoy her, they aren't little very long.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Oh my...she is precious! She looks a lot like Todd. When I first got Todd, I thought he was a shark in a puppy suit! Make sure you correct when she bites you.put her in time out if it gets too much. I have a sweet scar on my nose. I used to scream ouch and walk away. He got it eventually.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Thanks everyone! Yes we read about screaming ouch whenever she nips us and she has gotten that, she is just a pill when it comes to attacking our other dog! Now I'm getting frustrated with housebreaking - I just brought her out for a potty break, she lays down as soon as soon as I bring her out, eats grass twigs watches the kids on the street. Kept her out for 10 minutes then neighbors dog got lose (a somewhat not so friendly dog) so had to bring her in. Within 5 minutes she went under the table and peed - ooh so frustrating! At what point did your labs start giving you a signal they need to go out? I know she's still little but can't wait for her to get it already. . .housebreaking seems to take forever!

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

She adorable. She's a baby, housebreaking will come. For a while I was ready to believe mine purposely "held it" until we got back inside It'll come. They grow up so fast, take lots of pictures and enjoy her!