Opinions, Suggestions & Ideas for newly adopted 11 year old?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions, Suggestions & Ideas for newly adopted 11 year old?

Ckeller is offline Junior Member

DefaultOpinions, Suggestions & Ideas for newly adopted 11 year old?

I have taken in an 11 year old Chocolate lab for the remainder of his years. He is such a good boy and overall in very good health! Currently feeding him 4 Health (supplied by the Rescue). I never come across dog food for more elderly dogs. Any opinions or suggestions on the food? Also, I can't tell if I'm feeding him enough. He is getting about 1-1/2 cups in the morning and then the same again in the evening. I'm walking him more than I think he was used to and seems to have slimmed down some over the last few weeks (which he doesn't really need). He doesn't let me know if/when he is hungry. Not sure if I should give him more? Is this already too much?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The amount of food really varies quite a bit from dog to dog. If he is not gaining weight and needs to - add a bit more. If he is fine where he is - stay with that amount. There is senior food out there, but I would not feed it. They are fine on regular dog food. I think the one you are using is fine.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

citronella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    There is senior food out there, but I would not feed it. They are fine on regular dog food.
    Hi Bigbrown, just wondering why you suggested not feeding senior food? I just switched our beagle Tilly over to senior food and was wondering if something was wrong with it.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Welcome and what a wonderful person to take in an 11 year old. Poor wee guy.

I have an 11 year old and feed the same food he has had for years. I feed around that amount and if he starts looking porky I cut it back or add more if he starts losing weight.

We love pics when you have time.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

bett is offline Senior Member

nothing to add food wise, but you are a good egg.

Thanks for all of your kind words. I will get pictures yet this week! I'm really enjoying this site. There's a long story behind this dog but the short story is this 11 year old was actually my boy the first 2-3 years of his life. Lost him in a divorce. I kept in touch and made sure he was cared for over the years but recently the ex had to surrender him to a Rescue place. I contacted them and and had him shipped to me from North Dakota to WI. I'm ecstatic to have Jake back and able to fulfill his needs for his remaining years. He is totally thriving in his new environment. Jake is extremely loved!

Quote Originally Posted by citronella View Post
    Hi Bigbrown, just wondering why you suggested not feeding senior food? I just switched our beagle Tilly over to senior food and was wondering if something was wrong with it.
    Because senior dogs actually need protein and senior foods don't usually have enough. It's another gimmick. Unless your dog has a medical issue and needs special food because of it - just stay on whatever food she was doing well on when she was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckeller View Post
    Thanks for all of your kind words. I will get pictures yet this week! I'm really enjoying this site. There's a long story behind this dog but the short story is this 11 year old was actually my boy the first 2-3 years of his life. Lost him in a divorce. I kept in touch and made sure he was cared for over the years but recently the ex had to surrender him to a Rescue place. I contacted them and and had him shipped to me from North Dakota to WI. I'm ecstatic to have Jake back and able to fulfill his needs for his remaining years. He is totally thriving in his new environment. Jake is extremely loved!
    I'm so glad you found each other again! That's the best thing I have heard all week.

Thanks again, and thanks BigBrown for your input on the food.

bett is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ckeller View Post
    Even more of a good egg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast