Hello!

Thread: Hello!

Waylon'sMommy is offline Junior Member

SmileHello!

Hello everyone! Our puppy will be ready to come home with us next week. I am so excited and absolutely cannot wait. So many emotions and thoughts as well..... Am I going to train him right? Will he and our cat get along? Will my husband be as devoted to training as I am? What if it turns out to be Marley & Me?

I have read Cesar Millan's book How to Raise the Perfect Dog twice now and placed sticky notes inside so that I can easily access the important tips. It has been years since I've had a dog and a first for my hubby and I together.

I so look forward to this new addition to our family!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradory is offline Senior Member

Puppy class is probably the most important start you can give your new puppy, just as soon as pup has had all it's shots!
    Hey, Marly was a lot of fun!
    Enjoy your new love, life will never be the same!

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

You are in for a lot of fun. Just remember the 1st couple of weeks are always the toughest as far as a pup settling in and learning what is expected of him or her. The more diligent you are in the first while the better the payoff later on. Once puppy learns the basics it's all gravy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Good luck with the pup !

Some of us have reservations with some of Ceser Millan's methods.

Read his books with an open mind and don't be afraid to ask questions here !

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome and congrats on your new puppy. I do agree that Cedar Millans "wisdom" should be taken with a grain of salt. Finding a puppy k class with a trainer that uses a positive reinforcement method of training will help you much more.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Waylon'sMommy is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback!!! I have heard from a lot of people in my area that PetSmart has great classes. As soon as he is old enough, I will definitely be enrolling him.

I am also starting crate training immediately. This will also be a first for me, but it is a must. I will definitely share pics once he is home with us ;-)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Welcome and congrats on your new puppy. I do agree that Cedar Millans "wisdom" should be taken with a grain of salt. Finding a puppy k class with a trainer that uses a positive reinforcement method of training will help you much more.
    Agree - a much better book for a new puppy owner is Patricia McConnell's "Puppy Primer". Cesar advocates many very, very outdated ideas about training dogs.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.