Hiya!

Thread: Hiya!

Drakes Mommy is offline Junior Member

DefaultHiya!

972015_10200266261032172_675870248_n.jpg

This is Drake! And I am his mommy, Sam. My fiance and I bought Drake a week and 2 days ago and he is an absolute sweetheart. I've been around one lab before when it was a puppy, he is a Golden lab, and his temperament seems to have been totally different than Drake's is now. That lab, very shy hah. Anyway I actually have a couple of questions because my Fiance was too young to remember how his Lab puppies were when he was growing up.

1. We have like I said, had Drake for a week, he will be 2 months old, at the end of this month. We got him pretty young, I know. But the question is, we found out, the man we bought Drake from, did not properly wean Drake from his mother. Will this cause serious problems for him? We have just been giving him a puppy food and he's eating it fine, he enjoys it. His problem is his stool which I am sure is from him being put straight to puppy chow, and not getting any Gruel or anything like that to be weaned from his mother. How long will his stool be watery? And it actually keeps changing back and forth from that normal light brown mushy puppy stool, to just diarrhea, poor puppy! Also, how much do y'all feed the pups? Drake, gets 1 to 1 1/2 cups 3 times a day, sometimes he eats all 3 times a day, sometimes he doesn't want much to do with the third meal, he'll eat a little bit, or he'll eat some lunch and all his dinner. Should we go to just twice a day? If we do that though which we did the first few days, he just glomps it down so quickly..

2. This ones about water. Drake drinks we feel quite a bit of water. And I understand, some dogs are just like that. By all means he never wakes us up in the middle of the night for a drink and if he goes for a potty walk in the middle of the night, he doesn't come up and get a drink of water, like he does sometimes throughout the day. I don't want to ration water especially because its the summer but sometimes he'll sit there and drink and drink and then he'll be dripping from his mouth a ton of water, then without warning pee on the floor, he's also not fully potty trained. But my thing is, if I fill the bowl and we leave the house for a few hours, it'll be down to pretty darn near empty. Or even throughout the day with the dog, while we are here, he can do the same thing. Can it be boredom? WE have lots of toys and nylabones for him to chew on and everything but could it still be the boredom?

3. The chewing brings me to my third question. Drake is a smart little puppy! Quick learner, he's learned sit, Beg, paw, and we're working on lay down today, the other three he learned in a 2 hour time span, in one day. So he's super smart, in my eyes. Are all Labs this easy to train in this stuff? But the mouthing, oh the mouthing! He bit my finger so hard the other night and wouldn't let go. I couldn't get his mouth open, my fiance had to do it, and I thought he broke my pinky. He though, we were still playing which I play with him with his toys, not my hands. But he is definitely a mouthy little boy! I am going to work on the bite inhibition training with him, but its not seeming to work. I pull my hands away and stop playing, he lunges at my face, never has he bit it but still. Or he finds a way to get my arm in his mouth, or goes for toes. And I yell OW! try to stop the playing with him and give him a toy instead but its just not sinking in yet that the mouthing is not something I want to deal with. Is it just because he's so young that he's just not learning this yet? Or is he just plan stubborn? Because I certainly don't want him to grow up to be a dog who constantly bites peoples hands, fingers, ears, feet and arms...

sorry this is so long, but I am a curious new lab owner, please help! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome!
    To begin with you definitely got this puppy much too young. What is done is done, just very sad. The 1st thing you need to do is take the puppy and a stool sample to the vet, NOW! Stick with one, good quality puppy or ALS food and stay away from any treats or extra food like table scraps. There are many reasons your puppy could be having tummy issues, let the vet figure it out. A puppy that young should be given the opportunity to eat at least 3 times per day. The amount is fine and you can increase it as necessary.
    I would also check with the vet about water intake. I don't know how much your bowl holds so it is hard to know the amount he is drinking. I never restricted water except for an hour or 2 before bedtime. Some dogs drink more than others, there is no right or wrong here as long as there are no underlying health issues.
    Because your puppy was removed from mom and siblings so young you will have more issues with bite inhibition. Find a friend or family member with a patient, completely vetted dog and set up play dates. You need to expose this puppy to as many SAFE dogs, places and experiences as possible to socialize him before he has all of his shots. This is a very important time for this to be done. Find and sign up for a puppy k class ASAP! You will need to pick one method to discourage the mouthing and stick with it. This requires patience and consistency. Labs are very mouthy as puppies, this is not uncommon.
    Make sure to stay away from dog parks or areas frequented by other, unknown dogs. Keep puppy on your lap and/or arms at the vets and other public places until he has all 3 sets of shots.
    Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

So you got this puppy at 5 weeks? Are you in the US?

One of the problems you will have with a puppy separated from it's siblings that early is that he will be vastly more mouthy than typical (and most Lab puppies are mouthy). One good thing you can do for him is to get him around other puppies and (even better) an well tempered adult female dog (all of whom are vaccinated) to help him learn to be a dog. While you can and should work with him to train for the behaviors you want - there is nothing quite as effective as dogs learning from their own kind in their own language.

You can expect him to be mouthy for quite a few weeks until he learns some bite inhibition (which is what puppies learn from their siblings and why it is CRITICAL for the litter to stay together until 8 weeks).

And - I think you are overfeeding him. At 5 weeks 1.5 cups x 3 is a LOT of food. I would try 3/4 cups x 3 feeedings at the most at this point.

I would not worry about the water.

Where are you keeping him? Is he in a crate when you are not around? He can get outdoors on his own?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh we've already had him set with the vet and all that and unfortunately found out, that this guy gave Drake's siblings away a week or so before we went and got Drake. So as sad as it is that we took Drake from his mommy, I am so glad he is not with that guy anymore. We've taken Drake to the vet already, and she got a stool sample he got his first set of shots with the guy we got him from, that morning before we went and picked him up. WE have all that paperwork and as I said as upset and sad that I am that our pup was not properly weaned from his mother, and was taken away young I am just so glad we got him away from that man because he shouldn't be breeding.. We have a puppy food for him that he is eating, and he isn't getting any treats or anything all he has is non edible Nylabones that are just the original unflavored for chewing, per the vet.

At that age he would have (or should have) been weaned and onto a puppy mush. That's not the problem with what happened with him. The sibling/litter time is the problem.

The man we bought him from never put him on puppy mush either. All of his siblings were gone to new homes already when we contacted this guy and asked him when pups were available. When I found out all his siblings were already gone and away from him and they were keeping him in a box in their barn, I went and got him, basically to save him. I didn't like the treatment he was getting. I also reported the man that we bougt him from, to the breeder page he was on.

Also yes he is in a crate when we aren't around and the food, is what the Vet told us to give him and he's eating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakes Mommy View Post
    The man we bought him from never put him on puppy mush either. All of his siblings were gone to new homes already when we contacted this guy and asked him when pups were available. When I found out all his siblings were already gone and away from him and they were keeping him in a box in their barn, I went and got him, basically to save him. I didn't like the treatment he was getting. I also reported the man that we bougt him from, to the breeder page he was on.
    I'm not blaming you for the early departure from the litter - that was the "breeders" mistake. I'm just trying to explain the effect so you know what to expect.

I know that, I am just giving the background as to why I was a little more "ok" to take him because I felt horrible. The guy clearly didn't know what he was doing and it makes me angry that he was able to call himself a breeder.