New here and recently got my first lab ever.

Thread: New here and recently got my first lab ever.

LindaMayRee is offline Member

DefaultNew here and recently got my first lab ever.

I recently acquired a 4 yo yellow lab. He is an amazing dog.
    The way Huck came to me is not the typical way most people get a dog. Its kind of a long story but I will try to share it in a condensed version.
    About 7 weeks ago I had a bird dog come to my house. He had a collar that had a ph number. I called the owner and he came right out and picked him up. He said there should be a yellow lab with him as well. I said I had not seen a yellow lab but i would keep my eye open for him. One week later the yellow lab showed up. He was very timid and scared. It took me 30 minutes to coax him to come to me. Once I got him he instantly became my buddy. I called his owner and his owner was thrilled I had found him (he had been missing 2 weeks). The owner had to work all day and asked if I could keep him until 5pm. I said yes but we planned to go for a hike and the owner said just take Huckleberry with us so we did. He was great. The owner picked him up and he went home. 3 days later Huckleberry came 14 miles back to our house. I called the owner and again he was working and couldn't pick him up until 5. He went home. Came back a few days later. By this time I wanted him so bad and was so attached to him and just hated having to send him back when he just kept coming to my house. We offered to buy him but the owner was not looking to sale and was not interested. But Huck just kept coming back. Finally the owner reluctantly sold him to us. He said he could not keep Huck at home. He couldn't even let him in the yard because he would take off the 14 miles to our house. It was a bad situation. But the owner felt Huck had picked where he wanted to be. sigh...
    Anyway, We have owned Huck about a month now and I am crazy about him. He is just a doll and such a pleasure. He goes hiking with me all the time and he has been camping with us. Lots of people thought he would be a roamer or take off on us too but he has showed no sign of having any desire to leave. He never strays far from my side.
    Linda
    Wife to my superman, mom to my three kiddos-2 daughters and 1 son, and my Lab Huckleberry.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What a great story! Love it!

Welcome to the board.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Congrats!

I got my boy in similar circumstances. He was found wandering the streets. The lady who found him volunteered for a rescue so she got him checked for a microchip. She found his owners & returned him. A couple of days later she found him loose again. This time, she told them if they can't control him, give him to her & she'd find another home for him. They handed him over on the spot. Turned out their 18yo son had aspergers & couldn't control him. Pretty pathetic excuse IMO. Given the sons condition, he should have been the whole family's responsibility.

I found him on the rescue site & the rest is history. I think it's pretty cool that your guy picked you over his previous owners.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome! That is a wonderful story. Were you able to find out much about his history from his previous owner? Sounds like he was an outside dog. Labs are so people/family oriented if he was left outside it is no wonder he decided your home was where he wanted to be! Congratulations, I wish you many happy years together.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Welcome! That is a wonderful story. Were you able to find out much about his history from his previous owner? Sounds like he was an outside dog. Labs are so people/family oriented if he was left outside it is no wonder he decided your home was where he wanted to be! Congratulations, I wish you many happy years together.
    From my understanding he used to be an inside dog. He is house trained. He has had obedience training and some hunting training. But at some point he was moved from the home and put outside in a kennel. He escaped the kennel three times to come to my house. The other times he took off while outside with his owner. I just kinda took it that Huck used to be the owners best buddy and life got busy or something and the dog went to the kennel and he didn't pay nearly as much attention to him as he used to.
    We have two kids (teens) and we homeschool so the kids and I are at home all the time so he gets all kinds of attention. And almost everyday when school is done we hit the woods hiking. Ol' Huckleberry is in Heaven. :-)
    Linda
    Wife to my superman, mom to my three kiddos-2 daughters and 1 son, and my Lab Huckleberry.

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

What a great story! Glad he found where he belongs.

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

citronella is offline Senior Member

Welcome and thanks for the background. It is a great story and he must have been searching and thank goodness he found you.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

LOL, actually, I've heard similar stories many times, but it was a cat that chose a new family to live with.

Huck just knew somehow that you were the people for him and it sure sounds like he was right. Here's to a long life together on the hiking trails.

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LindaMayRee View Post
    From my understanding he used to be an inside dog. He is house trained. He has had obedience training and some hunting training. But at some point he was moved from the home and put outside in a kennel. He escaped the kennel three times to come to my house. The other times he took off while outside with his owner. I just kinda took it that Huck used to be the owners best buddy and life got busy or something and the dog went to the kennel and he didn't pay nearly as much attention to him as he used to.
    We have two kids (teens) and we homeschool so the kids and I are at home all the time so he gets all kinds of attention. And almost everyday when school is done we hit the woods hiking. Ol' Huckleberry is in Heaven. :-)
    It is no wonder he wanted to be with you. He is a very lucky boy to have made that trip so many times without incident. Enjoy him and keep him safe. Welcome to the forum.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire_Dog View Post
    It is no wonder he wanted to be with you. He is a very lucky boy to have made that trip so many times without incident. Enjoy him and keep him safe. Welcome to the forum.
    Judy and Jack
    Thanks!
    Yes, I worried sick about him making those 14 mile treks and crossing the highway. My daughter saw him crossing the highway at 1am one morning (on her way home from work) heading for our house. She tried to pick him up but he didn't know her very well and would not stop. :-) She called me and he was sitting in my yard in just a little while. :-)
    Linda