Eating poo

Thread: Eating poo

Kpoole85 is offline Junior Member

DefaultEating poo

Hi my lab teddy is 7 months and seems to have a thing about eating his poo has anyone dealt with this problem before? Please help its disgusting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

You need to be vigilant and clean up after him [U]each[/U] and every time. It is the only way to break the cycle. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it is well worth or in the end.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Kpoole85 is offline Junior Member

Brilliant thank you I literally don't know it's there sometimes my fault really

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

It's not all that uncommon, and labs are probably one of the breeds more prone to it

As mentionned above, try to nip it in the bud now if you can. Pick up vigilantly, even if it means going out with him daily (or twice daily).

There are some thoughts that it could be related to something "missing in their diet". I don't discount that all together, but generally they do it because they enjoy it.

My almost 9 year old lab is a neurotic poop eater. Meaning he is non-stop searching for and eating it at dog parks. It's a huge issue. So I recommend you put in teh work to stop it sooner rather than let it possibly become a habit.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kpoole85 View Post
    Hi my lab teddy is 7 months and seems to have a thing about eating his poo has anyone dealt with this problem before? Please help its disgusting.
    My older Lab did it when he was younger. I tried pills, pineapple, all of the remedies you can find on the internet. What worked was - cleaning up after him and also watching closely and verbally correcting him when he was thinking about snacking. Both of my dogs have solid responses to "LEAVE IT". And telling Dee this consistently when he was approaching a fresh pile helped. For some dogs, the verbal correction is not enough to ignore the siren song of a stinky poop. Cleaning it immediately is the only way to go with them.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

I count myself lucky that Jaxx doesn't seem interested in that. Of course I just jinxed myself. :P

He's never out unattended though due to his age and I also go out and clean everything up every day or so. That probably helps!

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal87 View Post
    I count myself lucky that Jaxx doesn't seem interested in that. Of course I just jinxed myself. :P

He's never out unattended though due to his age and I also go out and clean everything up every day or so. That probably helps!

haha be careful what you say! Rocky did NOT start eating poop until he was at least 4 years old. I adopted him at 18 months and he had zero interest in poop for a long while. But when he started (at the dog park no less) it just became harder and harder to stop because i didn't nip it in the bud quickly enough. He now wears as basket muzzle when we go to the off leash park (and even there I have to watch cuz he'll squish the poop to get some thru the basket - terribly terrily terribly disgusting). It really is an AWFUL habit if you are out and about in areas where dogs are off-leash because peolpe don't pick up.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Jack tried that in the beginning but we pick it up right away and that has ended. I don't even like him sniffing other dogs poop because I am afraid there may be deseases in them. It will most likely end if you express your displeasure.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."