New Here - and counting the days til puppy comes home!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Here - and counting the days til puppy comes home!

Archie is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew Here - and counting the days til puppy comes home!

Hello all from southern Ontario. I'm new here and have decided to join to try to alleviate at least a little of the pain of waiting for a new puppy!

My chocolate lab, if all goes well, will be ready to come home around July 1st.

So, for those of you who went the route of buying from a breeder, and had a long wait, what did you do to distract yourselves?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

citronella is offline Senior Member

Welcome fellow Canadian! The puppies were already born when we were searching so we visited a them a couple of times. Our wait wasn't as long as yours. Get things ready for puppy at home ie. search for a good crate, toys, investigate dog foods etc. I read dog books even though we already had dogs but you forget what happens when a puppy comes home. Check around for puppy classes and so on.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

Welcome!

On a funny note, my husband and I had a 'long' wait without it being a long wait. We planned for months to get a puppy. We researched breeders and contacted them (but didn't actually move forward with getting a puppy). We researched vets in the area, we got a crate, etc. We discussed time commitment, etc. Finally we were ready to 'move' forward and had selected the breeder we felt was the best choice. I contacted her on a Tuesday, she replied that she had a litter that would be ready on Saturday and that she hadn't yet screened for owners so the litter was completely unclaimed.

So we had been expecting a couple month or more wait... and didn't even have to wait a week!

I like the above advice. Also, if you're new to puppies (or labs) then research is never a bad thing. I will say, I've had cocker spaniel puppies but never a lab puppy until now. That is the one area I neglected, I didn't research a great deal about labs, their training, what to expect, etc. He is very different from any cocker spaniel puppy I've been around.

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice, and I'd love to hear more stories!

Crystal, sounds like the timing was perfect for you, and your puppy is adorable.

I'm certainly not new to puppies, or training in general. I've always had rescue dogs, the last of which was a pit bull/jack russell terrier mix (I kid you not!) who was a handful until her dying day! I've also trained many horses over the years, transitioning them from the racetrack to the show ring, so I feel like I at least have some of the patience/attitude/experience required, but I'm also prepared for the challenges of a lab.

This time around, my fiance and I opted for a purebred lab, for many reasons, and are very excited. Most of the preparation has already been done. I'm a little too organized!

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

The time will go by quickly. We had not had a puppy for many years and never a lab puppy before. I downloaded every training course I could find and started reading. I was terrified but after loosing our old rescue lab we wanted to have as much time as possible with this one and he has not dissapointed. He had his 5th birthday in March and we have enjoyed absolutely every moment.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome! We waited several months after suddenly losing our beloved 8 year old Lab, Ozzy. It was so hard to wait but there is nothing like getting that puppy in your arms for the first time. We just did the regular shopping for a new crate, bed, leash, collar, tag, toys, new bowls, etc. Read and reread everything I could get my hands on and finally the day came. I cried like a baby when I first held Maxx. The waiting is hard but so worth it. Now Maxx is almost 2, such a funny, loving and truly well behaved guy. He makes me laugh every day, we really lucked out.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks everyone! The wait continues. The litter was due Sunday, but still no puppies. The little guy sure is taking his time

Just wanted to give you a quick update: puppies were born Tuesday, May 7, 3 boys and 3 girls, all healthy. 7 weeks til our boy can come home!

Hope this link works!

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Labradory is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Just wanted to give you a quick update: puppies were born Tuesday, May 7, 3 boys and 3 girls, all healthy. 7 weeks til our boy can come home!

Hope this link works!

Ou Breeder used to give us regular You Tube videos, so we could get to know, and of course, fall in love, with the puppies. At the time, though, we didn't know which puppies we would get (that was up to the Breeder) But it didn't matter, because we loved the whole litter, by the time we met them!
    Good luck with your new little love! Lab puppies are the best!

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

Labradory is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post

Hope this link works!

So, precious! Nothing beats a Lab puppy!

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast