Took Him Home - our Intro (kinda long)

Thread: Took Him Home - our Intro (kinda long)

Hit It Deep is offline Junior Member

DefaultTook Him Home - our Intro (kinda long)

Hello everyone. Just finally taking time to join and introduce ourselves to all. Not new to pet ownership,
    had a golden retriever, a yellow lab, and currently have a rescued lhasa apso-poodle mix and about a month
    ago took home a 19 month old black lab.

Like everyone here, we had to make the tough decision to let our yellow lab rest after 13.5 years, this was
    back in Oct. 2011,I still miss him dearly. He was a strictly English type. His father was a fox red from
    Balrion kennels in the UK. We did everything together, we earned our CGC before he was a year old.
    We do still have our 7 year old lhasa-poodle mix rescue, he is a great dog as well, but I wanted that "big boy" to hang with.

So we / I started the search, but soon realized we would rather have an older dog as we wish not to go
    through the puppy hood (I still remember those days/nights). But we all know a 19 month old has LOTS of puppy
    in them. We followed TWO basic rules. Rule #1, ONLY from a reputable respected breeder. Rule #2, English type
    and temperament. Kinda rule #3, really prefer black or chocolate; we wanted our previous lab to be our ONLY yellow.

We soon found out when an older dog becomes available they are so quickly picked up. So we must have missed out on, or
    where 3rd in line on a few promising older dog from reputable breeders (rule #1). Well, my never giving up approach paid off.
    Reluctantly called on an another older dog lead to inquire. I was prepared to get the response, "oh he is spoken for already";
    but as luck will have it he is still available, only because the breeder has turned away a couple of prospective applicants
    for her own reasons. We hit it off right away. I was very forthcoming with our family situation, provided her all the references
    she required, and then some. In other words, FULL DISCLOSURE as I view this as hopefully a minimum another 10 year
    relationship. So in early March, we drove 5 hours to meet the breeder and met our lovely boy . . . Jeter!

What a great addition he has been. Coming from a show ring life, we soon realized he didn't really
    know what the sit command meant 8-). A treat was his que to "pose pretty". The breeder has shown him and actually earned point(s)
    toward his championship. Well, with us he is already a GRAND CHAMPION !!! We already started obedience work, and can't wait
    for warmer weather to take them swimming ! We are so fortunate to have found this breeder and her giving us a chance to raise
    this wonderful boy. Will post pics when I figure it out...

Thanks for having us here !

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Welcome ! I would love to see a picture of your Lhasoo :-)

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad you got your boy! Can't wait to see pictures.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hit It Deep is offline Junior Member

Let's see if this works . . . .

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

Oh how sweet! They're both beautiful.

citronella is offline Senior Member

Welcome
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

How utterly adorable they both are! Welcome!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02