New to everything puppy-related =)

Thread: New to everything puppy-related =)

artemis-wilde is offline Junior Member

SmileNew to everything puppy-related =)

I've never owned a dog before and I've hardly been around any, but I've always wanted one. Three weeks ago I got my two month old lab, Duke. He had already been through two homes and both times the owners realized training and keeping an energetic puppy is more than they were prepared for. So as far as I know of his history, he was taken from his mother and siblings at six weeks and then stayed with the first owner for seven days and the next one for five days. In this time he had no training that I could see and hadn't been taught bite inhibition either.
    I'm slowly trying to teach him simple commands and get him out of his habit of latching on to our hands and ankles. Some training sites like, How To Train A Dog, dog training tips and techniques for home based dog trainers have been very helpful. Since we don't have any dog trainers in my city and no group or organization I can turn to for advice I hope I can find the help I need here. Thanks in advance. =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Feel free to ask away as far as questions go. Is he being crate trained for house training?

artemis-wilde is offline Junior Member

He's being house trained for now. He generally sleeps on the floor under my bed (it's clean and spacious down there) but knows his corner where his water dish, blanket, a square cushion and his toys are kept. Whenever he finds something he wants to keep he takes it to his corner but won't sleep there with me in another room.

I posted my questions here: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/t...k-old-lab.html

Thanks, lab lovers. =)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome and congrats to you! If he was taken from his mom and littermates at 6 weeks he did not learn bite inhibition. Lab puppies are very mouthy to begin with and those little shark teeth hurt. Always keep an appropriate chew toy to give him if he is biting you. Sometimes puppies get overtired and wound up and just need a time out in their crate. If you have a friend or family member with a fully vaccinated female dog get them together so she can help him work on his bite inhibitions. I held Maxx's mouth shut, gently, and said "no bite". It took weeks but it did work. Once he starts getting his permanant teeth the biting pretty much ends. That is a happy day!!
    Be careful to keep puppy in your yard until 2 or so weeks after his last set of boosters. No dog parks, regular Parks neighborhood jaunts, pet stores, etc. Keep puppy on your lap at the vets, do NOT put him on the floor. You can find places to take him, I took Maxx to stores that would allow him, keeping him in a cart with a blanket. He went to the bank with me, to work with me and everywhere in the car. We started puppy k classes at 10 weeks which was great for socialization. Good luck, you have lots of fun ahead of you!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

cillovely is offline Senior Member

Ian Dunbar's Before and after you get your puppy is a great book, he also has a good website to look at Dog Star Daily