New to the forum & new 8 week old pup

Thread: New to the forum & new 8 week old pup

nadsie is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew to the forum & new 8 week old pup

Hi all,
    My fiancé and I are picking up our 8 week old chocolate labrador puppy (Koko) in 5 days. We have both had dogs growing up but this is our first puppy and dog as a couple.
    I think we are almost set for her arrival.
    We both work full time and I will be having a 4 day weekend to help her adjust to our home.
    I'm feeling a bit unsure about where to leave her when we go back to work. We have bought a crate for crate training however as we both work long hours I don't think she should be left alone in the crate. Our backyard is secure but would it be better to leave her in a secure place inside the house with the crate door open until she gets a bit bigger and can be left in the backyard. Or should we make a smaller pen for her and leave her in the yard?
    N.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You say that you both work long hours, but you don't say how long this pup (baby) is going to be left alone. You will find that most here do not believe that their dogs should be left outside at any age. If you have hopes of this dog becoming housebroken, and becoming the loving family dog, people dog that they are best at, you can't be thinking that you are going to leave this pup alone for 8-10 hours. You will need to find a way to get home or get someone to let this animal out for take care of business and the get some exercise. Also at this young age, the pup will need to be fed mid day. Maybe its not time for you to take on a puppy because of your schedules. Maybe you should consider rescuing an adult dog that is house trained already, and will be happy to nap on the sofa all day while you are gone. I would seriously think about this before you bring a puppy home.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

In the short term, it would be good to find a friend/neighbor/family member or hire someone who can come over to play with and let the puppy out a couple times while you are both at work.
    Using a crate while you are gone is a good idea to keep the puppy safe.
    As Ed said, most people here are not a fan of leaving the dogs outside during the day. We've seen too many dogs get hurt in what were thought to be "safe" backyards. However, I have no actual idea where you live or what your setup is.
    Good luck! The puppy years are fun but tiring.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Welcome. An 8 week old puppy should never be left by itself alone, be it in a crate or not, while you all are at work. It's very dangerous for the animal for numerous reasons. I would strongly suggest you have help.. you need someone to come to your home a few times during the day to take the puppy out, play and socialize. I think we all understand that everyone has to work and most today are in families that have 2 parents working. That's not the issue at all. It's what is best for your puppy. As excited as you all are, I would hope that no matter what you decide, you decide based on what is best for the pup. I would have thought your breeder would have already discussed this with you and ensured your life style was appropriate. What friend, family members are available for the few couple of months to really help out? Can you give a bit more information so that we can all continue suggestions such as what time do you both leave and return from work, how far away are you working? Can either of you come home at lunch time?

Danika & Eva

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

We did use the crate, with the door open, in a pen or in our gated kitchen. However we also arranged work schedules so that puppy was only alone for less than 4 hours three days a week. I worked all night and weekend shifts for six months to do this. A four day weekend is a good, but sorry, a very minor start.

So, yes, you can accommodate the need to bathroom and the need for safety, though you won't know if a setup like mine is truly safe if you are not there. But puppies need contact with their humans in order to bond, socialize. They need mental stimulation which they won't get sitting at home for hours a day all by their little lonesomes.

In a crate for your long work hours? NO. All alone in the backyard for your long work hours? NO. Depending on how long these hours of isolation are you may need someone to go in and play with her, let her bathroom, feed her (three times a day minumum for feeding you know) several times a day. Good luck, with willing friends, neighbours, family to help out you can do this.

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post
    We did use the crate, with the door open, in a pen or in our gated kitchen. However we also arranged work schedules so that puppy was only alone for less than 4 hours three days a week. I worked all night and weekend shifts for six months to do this. A four day weekend is a good, but sorry, a very minor start.

So, yes, you can accommodate the need to bathroom and the need for safety, though you won't know if a setup like mine is truly safe if you are not there. But puppies need contact with their humans in order to bond, socialize. They need mental stimulation which they won't get sitting at home for hours a day all by their little lonesomes.

In a crate for your long work hours? NO. All alone in the backyard for your long work hours? NO. Depending on how long these hours of isolation are you may need someone to go in and play with her, let her bathroom, feed her (three times a day minumum for feeding you know) several times a day. Good luck, with willing friends, neighbours, family to help out you can do this.
    Excactly!! It can be done. I have had puppy families do exactly what you did!!! Perhaps the OP will give us more information so we can post more suggestions.

Danika & Eva

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Exactly as stated above. I was fortunate enough to be able to take my puppy to work with me for the first 4+ months
    When he was approximately 6 months old, I only took him once or twice a week. This worked great but I realize not everyone hss this luxiury. Once he was about at 6+ months, I hired Lauren, one of the vet techs from our vets office, to come in in the days we would all be gone more than 4 hours. This worked awesome, she would walk them play fetch outside, or whatever for a while come back in to eat her lunch and watch TV for the rest of her lunch hour. Our vet was less than a half mile from our house, my dogs love Lauren and this was a perfect solution.
    If you don't have a close relative or friend try contacting your vet office or even a professional dog walking service
    Please do NOT leave puppy outside all day, the dangers of this are too numerous to even mention.
    Best of luck to you and congrats on your new baby.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 03-10-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.