9 week old Lab/ German shorthaired mix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 week old Lab/ German shorthaired mix

SiTheMutt is offline Senior Member

Default9 week old Lab/ German shorthaired mix

Hello,

Just wanted to do a quick introduction before I go to training to ask about some concerns I have with this pup. He is a mix as you can see in the title. His mother stopped wanting anything to do with them at around 5 1/2 weeks and we got him at 6. Trying our best to make up for what he lost without that crucial time with his mother and littermates. He is a liver color with a white spotted chest and very cute. His name is Si. He is doing horribly with potty training but crate trained very quickly. Our household includes me, my husband, our 1 year old son, our 3 backyard chickens and now the puppy. Thank for looking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaykay is offline Senior Member

welcome!! cant wait to see pics.
    Kristin

jayson

laika

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

Welcome! He sounds like a beauty. I hope we can get to see some pictures!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

My puppies Mom "left" the litter way too early as well, she just wasn't a good Mom. I took Jack home when he was only 5 weeks old. I gave him a thick warm blanket and a few assorted stuffed animals including one large one with a old fashioned ticking wind up clock under it. He cuddled in just fine. Lots of play time and handling ~ with a puppy you can't help that anyway they are just so dang cute. AND a lot of patience. Jack turned 9 months on Feb 2 and I think he's adjusted well. He's a healthy, happy boy who minds very well. Smart and eager to please. It's best of course if they can stay with their Mom and litter mates longer, but sometimes we just have to do what we have to do. Good luck. You'll be fine. I've found lots of great people on this site who are more then happy to help and advise. Like everyone else said, we'll need some pictures

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

You really can't expect a puppy that young to do well housebreaking yet. He isn't physically or mentally able to "get it" yet. Just keep it up and when's he's old enough to control it, he will. Congrats on the pup. I love shorthairs ...great mix.

Thanks for the responses! As far as potty training, I've decided to keep him leashed and with me while we are in the house. That way I won't be stepping in anymore surprises in the hallways! He doesn't like being on leash right now, but he'll get used to that with training. It's good to hear about another puppy taken so early that turned out well. I hear so many horror stories and we hesitated when we got him but he was living in a poopy, disgusting area and needed to get out of there asap. I've read a lot of great things about both breeds but also that they're both a handful, so should be interesting. Honestly though, with a baby in the house, any dog is a handful and has to be under constant watch. I will post some photos soon enough.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Just to clarify on the whole "mom stopped dealing with the puppies at 5 weeks" aspect. Breeders who know what they are doing don't send puppies to homes just because the dam left the litter. The puppies should be together for another 2-3 weeks and the mom really does not need to be involved in feeding or caring at that point. It's laziness on the part of the "breeder" to send puppies home then. They don't want to deal with the huge amount of work having a whole bunch of hungry, poopy, yappy little critters is at 5-8 weeks.

Any breeder who blames the dam for the puppies early departure is just full of it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I totally agree. But, Jack turned out to be an awesome dog. I was trying to give encouragement from the experience I'd had with a too young puppy, not justify it. Jack missed out on a lot of very important life lessons, but with patience and a lot of love, he did well.
    Jeeze, after reading all these umpire threads I'm so afraid I'm going to offend someone. I NEVER, EVER MEAN TO BE MEAN. Also, I don't take other peoples opinions as being mean. His puppy, like my Jack, didn't have any choice, they were taken from their dog family and sent to their human family. We do what we need to do. That's all.
    Last edited by KathyArch; 02-13-2013 at 09:04 AM.

I didn't see anybody saying that it was an ideal situation. I know as well as the next person what a "good" breeder is versus a bad or byb. Si was the end result of a GSP Houdini escaping his yard and traveling 2 miles away to mate with a lab. The male wasn't fixed because he is a champion line dog, as for the female...the owner is irresponsible for not spaying her. I know how detrimental it can be for a litter to be separated so early, but it was going to happen anyway and it was either Si go to who knows where crap home or home with us and we decided he'd be best with us. I've frequented other forums being a dog and chicken owner and I don't need to be lectured on what is good or not good for a dog. I know you have good intentions, but I'm not some ignorant newbie dog owner. I've rescued and I've owned all types of dogs from all walks of life and while I haven't had a puppy in a while and it's almost like learning it all over again, I do know the basics of dog ownership and don't need clarification on topics that fall under that category. Thank you for your helpful replies. I don't want to offend you by my response, I just want to clarify where I stand. I enjoy learning and gaining wisdom from those that have been around longer than I, but I do not enjoy being spoken to like I am ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    I totally agree. But, Jack turned out to be an awesome dog. I was trying to give encouragement from the experience I'd had with a too young puppy, not justify it. Jack missed out on a lot of very important life lessons, but with patience and a lot of love, he did well.
    Jeeze, after reading all these umpire threads I'm so afraid I'm going to offend someone. I NEVER, EVER MEAN TO BE MEAN. Also, I don't take other peoples opinions as being mean. His puppy, like my Jack, didn't have any choice, they were taken from their dog family and sent to their human family. We do what we need to do. That's all.
    I appreciated the encouragement.
    Forums can be brutal, but in the end I really think they are more good than bad. I've learned so much invaluable information through people that were more knowledgeable than I. I'm pretty harsh in real life, but I'd like to think I have a little bit of tact on the web (I could be wrong though!)
    Just hope this wasn't a bad start. I'd like to stick around and learn more about labs. After all, that's why I joined in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast