New Lab friend..........REALLY rusty on forums!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Lab friend..........REALLY rusty on forums!!!

monascots is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Lab friend..........REALLY rusty on forums!!!

Hello and Greetings.

I'm an old broad, I used to know my way around forums but that was many years ago. Here's hoping I can find my way back again to find what I know will be helpful advice from all you seasoned professionals!

I've had Border Collies and when I did I had a husband to help but I'm on my own now and my last and most dearest old girl just passed last September. I miss her terribly of course and she's still with me every day and no dog could replace her but I missed having a companion. So I got to thinking perhaps a different breed, I've always liked Labs, and a different sex cause I've always had girls. I waffled on it soooooo much!!

I finally took the plunge! 4 days ago I got a male black lab puppy, he's just about 8 weeks old. He kissed my whole face and he's cute as a button and I just sort of KNEW..............but then I brought him home.......... and I knew how hard puppies are but over the years it got glazed over, sort of like childbirth. So once we got home I LIKED him..........the love had passed! I'm not giving up on him or anything like that, we have some adjusting to do. He's actually a really good boy but I'm old and tired and convinced I'll NEVER sleep again right now! But I know, he's going to be outstanding once we get over the next few weeks, he's very smart and he's learning quite quickly. I'm up for the challenge and he seems to be too.

He's my first Lab and we're now in it for the long haul...............any advice would be much appreciated. He has lots of toys for his teething, I know how to not make him chew on me, I yell OWE and he stops then I redirect him. He's learning NO. I do know puppy basics but I've never had a Lab before so I guess I'm looking for Lab tips................it's a new breed to me.........I reckon what I did with my Border Collies will work with him but is there anything I should know about Labs? I have a general idea of the breed, not a first hand idea tho.

What should I be doing specific to this breed other than the general puppy foundation thing?

I finally named him today............couldn't decide. His name is Mana Nui. Or Mana for short (Mah Nah). Hawaiian name meaning great big (inner) power.

Thanks y'all

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome and congratulations on your new puppy! I am so sorry for the loss of your girl, it just sucks to lose them. I know getting Maxx helped me tremendously when I lost my Ozzy.
    It sounds like you are doing well so far, the mouthiness of Lab puppies is their biggest issue, in my opinion. Luckily it does not last very long even though it does not seem that way while it is going on. Are you crate training? If so you may get more sleep if you put the crate in your bedroom. Other than getting up once a night for the first couple of days, Maxx slept through the night. His crate was right next to the bed and I think that made a huge difference. I would also suggest a puppy k class asap, the socialization is very important.
    enjoy your baby, they grow so very fast!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I love the name! Congratulations. The crate by the bed things works for us. If any of ours started crying I could just put a few fingers through the wires and give a little scratch and they'd settle right down. I think they just didn't want to feel alone.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultThanks

Thank you to both of you!

I am not crate training because this will be as much his home as it is mine.........I had puppy proofed the house long before I brought him home but just today realized I need to do more because he's going to be a big awkward floppy boy in no time (only 13 pounds now but huge MANA NUI paws!!!). The training will go so far, I need to reduce even more temptations before he gets to that point. I'm tired and sleepless but I'm thinking ahead! LOL

I think I should get him in the bath quite soon and get him used to water. He is a water dog after all and pretty soon he and I will be moving close to the ocean. I know what to do to create a foundation for a good canine citizen but what else should I be doing for a Lab? None of my Border Collie girls liked the water so any water tips for me?

Cheers to you all..............aren't dogs just the best thing ever?!! I'm tired, I'm cranky but PATIENT with my four legged friend and I'd rather be with him than my 2 legged friends!

Garth is offline Registered Users

We need pics!

Welcome! I just picked up my new pup yesterday so ours are about the same age. He's my 3rd lab and I've also raised an Aussie mix and golden retriever.

The main difference I think in lab puppies is as someone mentioned before the mouthiness. Also labs tend to have huge appetites. They act like they are starving all he time and really "inhale" their food so you have to be careful about weight issues and making sure they are not overfed. One other thing is labs have natural oils in their skin and bathing them frequently can actually be a bad idea with them. Most of labs got a yearly bath if that. When they are little it is usually a bit more frequent just because hey tend to get into things more, mine already discovered the mud hole behind my garage lol!

One thing to really consider though is crate training. Hunter was the first pup I crate trained and I have to say I would never go back to the old fashioned way I used before(newspapers in the kitchen, etc). It gives their own little den and really cuts down on the puppy whining and makes house training simple! Also traveling is much easier especially if you stay in hotels and such. Hunter actually preferred to sleep in his crate for many years. When he was older and we were home I just left he door propped open and he would go in there on his own even though at that point he had full reign of the house.

Good luck with the new pup and I look forward to sharing doggie adventures with you!
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

As stated above, a crate is a wonderful training tool. It can give you a break when puppy is napping because you know he is safe. Same thing at night. Dogs tend to love their crate and will go there when THEY want a break, are stressed, etc. Maxx is almost 19 months old and I have not had the door of his crate on in quite some time but that is where he goes to sleep, nap and sometimes just for a break. It is his special, safe spot. Puppy proofing is very important BUT you may find yourself surprised at what a lab puppy can get in to and eat. It seems nothing is off limits, lol! I wouldn't worry about bathing a lab unless they get in to something really stinky. A quick rinse after swimming will do the trick. Most labs take to the water without much coaxing so I would not worry about that.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

citronella is offline Senior Member

Congratulations and welcome. I would suggest crate training as well. At some point you will want to leave the house to run an errand without him and you want to know he is safe.
    We adopted a corgi/lab mix and he is a chewer. So I crate him when we are out. I would be happier knowing that he is in a crate than chewing on an electrical cord.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Welcome! You may find your Lab puppy is more oral and a more aggressive chewer than what you are used to with a BC. For that reason alone, I would suggest crate training now so you don't lose walls, carpet or your kitchen cabinets to the teething phase of Lab puppy raising.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Ok, I'm convinced. I started crate training today. The same day I joined the forum I was already starting to freak out a bit thinking how fast he was going to grow and then what? Nail everything to the ceiling?!! I've read some on crate training, I have a big soft blankie in there with my scent on it and I've given him a kong with a treat in it so he'll hang out in there for awhile and the door is open. Any other tips? Someone told me every time he goes in there on his own to give him a treat. Should I make a game out of it? The last time I had a puppies was 13 years ago, I keep thinking..........WHAT WAS I THINKING?!!!

I don't have any pics yet cause he won't hold still long enough and tries to eat the camera. I'll have to capture some when he's sleeping.

Thanks again to everyone. I appreciate the advice!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast