New to forum - new lab puppy ?s

Thread: New to forum - new lab puppy ?s

missashley1999 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew to forum - new lab puppy ?s

Hi. We are getting a new 7 week old yellow male lab in a couple weeks. Just lost our 10 year old lab to cancer last month.

It's been a long time since we've had a puppy. Any suggestions on things we should get or do before the puppy gets here - supplies, puppy proofing, etc. We have our old labs large crate, but that's about it.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

First, I am so sorry for your loss. I found a new puppy very helpful in the healing process. Now on to the important stuff! Have you researched breeders, made sure you found a reputable one that does all the VERY important testing on the parents? You need to see the OFA certs, make sure they were checked for EIC, CNM, PRA, etc. The owner of both dogs should be doing something with the parents, confirmation, obedience or agility. If the "breeder" does not meet this criteria please run, do not walk away. There are really awesome breeders and members here that would happily point you in the right direction. If you have done your homework, congratulations! Before I knew better I did not take the time to do the right thing. How I wish I could turn back time...
    Good luck and best wishes for a happy, healthy puppy!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

bett is offline Senior Member

hi and welcome.
    the first thing i would say, is why is the breeder releasing the dog at 7 weeks old?
    and i agree with the above post, in terms of all the testing that should have been done.

all that being said, good luck, and congrats.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the puppy !
    Please post pics when you can, we
    love puppy pics !
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

DefaultSome more puppy questions/replies

Hi. Thanks for your reply. The breeder we found has been in business for over 20 years. She has tons of testimonials on her site from previous puppy owners. The mother is a house dog, AKC registered. The father is a field trial champion. Both dogs hunt as well. That being said, I want to make sure I get all the right info. What does OFA Cert stand for, also EIC, CNM, and PRA. If you could let me know so I could check. I know the dogs are checked by her vet for hip displasia, have dew claws removed, all shots needed. The breeder asks that we have the puppy checked out by our vet the first 10 days, and if there are any issues, she will take the puppy back.

Also, is there an issue with the 7 weeks? I have read that anywhere from 7-8 weeks is fine as long as the puppies are weaned. They are a littler of 10. The breeder seems very experienced and she said that she has always found the puppies are ready to go around 7 weeks.

Let me know as we want to make sure we ask all the right questions. Thanks!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

OGS stands for the Orthopaedic Foundation of America. At 2 years of age.
    Labs are x-rayed to make sure they do not have issues with their hips and elbows. You never want to breed 2 dogs with issues. EiC stands for exercised induced collapse, CNM is a debilitating neuro muscular diseaze
    PRA is a disease of the eyes causing premature blindness. Hopefully this has helped you! Just make sure you see the actual certs and check them out thoroughly. There are some very shady "breeders" out there!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

dogmom is offline Senior Member

A quality breeder of 20 years would have all the genetic testing that has been done on her dogs readily available for review by anyone. Vets can not tell by a simple exam whether or not most if not all of the horrific genetic diseases possible in a Lab are present. And rarely do reputable breeders allow their pups to leave at 7 weeks.

Testimonials are great but lets be honest. If there are people who purchased a severely dysplasic dog, a dog with EIC (which can be prevalent in field lines), had a dog go blind with PRA and was unhappy with the breeder, would it be shared with you? It is easy to share accolades. If a breeder is doing the right testing, is truly breeding to better the breed not simply produce dogs, those tests will have been done and the breeder will have proof. Simply because a dog is AKC registered does not mean it should be bred. That is a registry, period. What has the dog done that has shown it to be worthy of breeding, bench showing, field champion, therapy dog, agility, etc. There are hundreds of thousands of very nice pets out there, doesn't mean they should reproduce. Ask the questions that will give you the best chance of adding a healthy, happy dog to the family.

If none of those clearances have been done, or if only some, I would pass on this litter, do a bit of research and find a breeder that does meet that higher standard. But whatever you choose, I truly wish you the best and hope you will continue to visit this forum. There are lots of great people here, lots of experience and good advice.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

In most states, it's ILLEGAL to sell a pup before 8 weeks. A reputable breeder would know that.

DefaultChecked out the certifications

Hi. I checked with the breeder. All her dogs are AKC registered and most are field trial or hunting trial champions. She said she has all the paperwork for me to see and provided the bloodlines of both parents. They are eye/hip certified or guaranteed, and since we won't be breeding this dog, I'm not sure that we need the other certifications. She has been breeding since 1980, so I was wrong about the time frame. We live in Nebraska, and you can adopt puppies under 8 weeks here. This pup will be over 7.5 weeks when we adopt him so he should be good. They are beautiful dogs and we have visited and seen both parents - very big, gorgeous dogs. So I'm pretty confident in this breeder. I also asked my friend who lives in the town nearby and she said she has a great reputation and she knows lots of people who have gotten dogs through her.

Thank you for all of your information - I wouldn't have known to check these things out and they are important. We will for sure take the new pup to our vet a couple days after we bring him home to have him thoroughly checked out. He will mainly be a beloved family pet, but my husband does hunt some, so it would be nice to have a dog to hunt with again. Now....to worry about introducing a puppy to our 18 lb. cat!!! She loved our old dog, but a puppy is a different matter.