Hi! :)

Thread: Hi! :)

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

DefaultHi! :)

Hello everyone! My name is Crystal. My husband and I just got our Lab puppy two weeks ago. I stumbled upon this board while googling for information.

As a bit of a background... I'm not new to puppies (my parents have cocker spaniels), but I am new to Labs and lab puppies! My husband had a Lab when he was growing up but he was only 5 when his family got the dog!

We wanted dogs from the minute we got married but as we lived in an apartment it didn't seem very fair, regardless of what breed we decided. Now we have a house and have lived here for 4 months. We have almost 2 acres of land out in the country. Once winter ends we're planning on fencing in a large portion for our dog.

To make a long story short we decided to get two dogs (eventually) and I found a reputable breeder than happened to have puppies available.

We named him Jaxx. He is black lab and a ball of energy. It's hard to get him to stay still long enough for a decent picture, but that certainly doesn't stop me from trying! Ha ha. Here's a quick picture, please let me know if it's too big!

I love him to pieces! My husband is having some adjustment issues unfortunately. He was so young the last time he was around a puppy that the amount of training, chewing, neediness, peeing etc. took him by surprise.

Overall Jaxx is doing very well. He will go to the door and cry when he needs to go out (probably 75% of the time). I've pretty well puppy-proofed most of the areas he's in...well as much as one can puppy proof him! My only concern is his nippiness. I know he's playing, but often times as I try to play with him with a toy, he'll grab my hand instead of the toy... or my foot instead of the toy....etc. He gets very focused on grabbing those and not the toy I'm trying to encourage him to play with! Ha ha. My husband keeps saying the puppy is aggressive or mean, which I truly don't think is the case. The cocker spaniel puppies I raised (my parent's current dogs) were the same way, except they were much smaller.

Anyway, wow sorry to be so wordy! I'm looking forward to learning new things about labs and enjoying my new role as an owner of a very sweet, very energetic black lab! I'm also looking forward to getting to know you guys!

P.S. I'm recovering from a slight cold, so I hope my thoughts don't sound too disconnected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaykay is offline Senior Member

welcome!!! he sure is adorable!
    Kristin

jayson

laika

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

He's a cutie! Tell your husband the puppy is a baby and does not have an aggressive or mean bone in his body. He is like the rest of labby puppies out there and likes to chew on everything, including you! My hands and arms were a mess when Sophie was a baby. It took us about a month to break her of nipping us with her needle sharp teeth! We put a hand around her muzzle and commanded Don't Bite! every time she nipped us. EVERY time! Still, it is such natural puppy behavior that it took a month till one day she figured out what all the fuss was about and stopped. Good luck!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I've been scouring the boards and have found some really great info!

Thanks, Sophiesmama, I'll need to try that! I've been saying 'No bite' and just nudging him away which doesn't seem to discourage him. Then I usually get up and walk away.

Samson is offline Senior Member

From your post, it's a delight to see somebody with a level headed approach to their pup !

Don't let your husband tell you different as you are doing exactly the right things.

Keep on trying to redirect his teeth to his toys and no harm to give the occasional yelp yourself if he hurts you and give a firm NO !

He'll eventually "get it" but some take longer than others.

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

What a cutie !
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    From your post, it's a delight to see somebody with a level headed approach to their pup !

Don't let your husband tell you different as you are doing exactly the right things.

Keep on trying to redirect his teeth to his toys and no harm to give the occasional yelp yourself if he hurts you and give a firm NO !

He'll eventually "get it" but some take longer than others.
    Thanks for the support! I'm glad to hear that I'm doing the right thing! I hadn't tried yelping, but I did last night and it actually seemed to work very well. He backed off and would lick the area he had nipped.