Hello

Thread: Hello

Bob S. is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello

I'm Bob. I'm 62 and I'm the owner (well, one of us owns the other) of Dover, an 11 month old spayed female Black Lab. She is my 3rd. Onyx died 3 years ago at age 14, and her predecessor was Zorro, who was also 14 when he passed. My wife and I have 3 grown children and 3 grandkids. We live on a fenced acre with a swimming pool. Unlike my first two, we crate Dover. For the life of me I don't know why I was so resistant before. She's spent every night in her crate (about 3 feet from our bed) and other than some brief crying on her first night (who woudn't), she's very content to spend her 'down' time there.

Dover gets a half-hour walk twice a day, and I try to take her out to one of several dog-friendly wildlife areas once a week for an hour or two of running off leash. We've been to basic and advanced puppy obedience school where I'd give her good marks for intelligence and a C- for her over-enthusiasm. She calms quickly, but first encounters with either dogs or people are a bitch (no pun intended). Dover's an English Lab, unlike my previous 2, but at least so far, she has not been the 'calm' English Lab that the books describe, at least during the first 5 minutes of visits. On leash she walks well at an informal 'heel' as long as I avoid close (less than 10ft) encounters with joggs or other walkers. Even then, if the stranger actually addresses Dover, I find myself with 75 lbs of fun making a quick attempt at contact! Off leash, I allow her to run and explore, and she's reasonably good at coming when called.

If anyone has a unique method of calming an excited lab during introductions, I'd love to hear it. I'm prepared to wait her out... I know that once she's approaching 2 she'll calm down, but a few months early woudl be nice too!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

Please post pics of all of your labs when you
    can !
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Welcome. You'll find lots of help and advice here. Just not from me......LOL. Not on that issue. My chocolate puppy is almost 9 months old and wags his whole body while making a loud noise, not sure how to describe it, when he meets people. He just loves everyone and NEEDS to say hello.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Hello and Welcome! Please post pics soon.

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have things covered. You are getting good length of life from your earlier dogs. Maybe you can share some secrets on that with those of hoping to get past 11.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."